This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Eyebrows

1.        Rimmel Eyebrow Pencil

I’d put off bothering about my eyebrows for as long as possible, because a) I was lacking in effort and b) I like my caterpillars natural. This all changed on the day when I realised, just like my hair, my eyebrows were curly. I hadn’t noticed how wild I had let them get and began researching just how fundamental these face-framers really were.

I was recommended Rimmel light brown eyebrow pencil by a friend so I went ahead and made a purchase- for a peachy £2.99.

With the additional of what I like to call an ‘eyebrow tamer’ (a useful eyebrow brush attached to the lid), I was feeling positive about my purchase. So I set about lightly pencilling in my brows with the help of my well-informed friend.

In the dim light of a university room I thought they looked pretty good, my eyes were definitely framed and my face defined. It wasn’t until the next morning, when I got ready with my curtains open, that I noticed how fake they looked. I could clearly make out the pencil lines even though I had taken care over blending it in. On top of the pencil-drawing which had taken over my eyebrows, the colour did not match in the slightest. As my boyfriend informed me: “Why have you dyed your eyebrows? I don’t like them ginger.” Due to Rimmel’s limited colour range, I felt that a lot of people would have had the same problem as me.

So I researched some more and decided to try an eyebrow gel and powder combination instead.

2.       Benefit Brow Zings Brow Shaping Kit

This kit transformed my curly caterpillars into beautiful butterflies!

Well nearly, but this kit did make a huge difference in a natural way which is exactly what I was after. The shaping wax was perfect for controlling my brows, without feeling like the hairs were full of stiff product. Whilst the setting powder ensured they stayed neat and tidy for a whole day! The colour match was perfect; it looks like it will last me for at least a year and the cute tweezers are super handy for last minute strays.

Even my boyfriend appreciated it: “You’ve dyed your eyebrows back then? That’s a relief!”

Face

3.       Max Factor Whipped Creme Foundation

I was also recommended this by a friend, a friend who, looking back, has the opposite skin type to me. Disregarding this I went ahead and bought it anyway, stupidly!

This foundation did not suit me at all; I found it very greasy and even sticky. The coverage was too thin and looked like I’d accidentally plastered my face, and not my lips, in super shiny lip gloss. Not a good look!

I feel that this foundation would be more suited to the summer seasons, so I’ll give it a try then. But for the moment, Max Factor’s latest foundation is staying on the shelf.

4.       Benefit the POREfressional: Agent Zero Shine Powder

This sounded like the perfect product for me; a pore minimising, shine-busting miracle set to turn me into Jennifer Aniston (she’s still looking incredible for 45 right!). But once again, it provided me with very little coverage and definitely didn’t stop shine from emerging later in the day.

Although the salt and pepper like shaker packaging is especially cool, I wouldn’t recommend this to a friend or even enemy! During the summer months, when quite honestly I can’t be bothered with makeup, I might give this another go. At the moment though, it’s staying alongside Max Factor’s foundation.

Lips

5.       Mac Pink Lemonade Lip Gloss

I’ve never been one for lip gloss, bright lips or really any makeup on my lips at all- and my flat mates had noticed this. So, for my birthday they decided to introduce me to my makeup nemesis.

I’ve never had a more appropriate time to use the phrase: ‘never judge a book (or lip gloss) by its cover.’ I love it. It brightens up my face, adds a pop of colour and isn’t super sticky or glittery. Pink Lemonade is also the perfect colour if you’re new to a brighter lip- not too bold but noticeable.

I really couldn’t recommend this highly enough, be sure to pick up a Mac lip gloss for your own makeup makeover!

English Language and Linguistics student at Lancaster University, with a passion for all things magazine- be it beauty, fashion, lifestyle, career, reviews! Co-Editor for HerCampus Lancaster. Check out my instagram: conniemaitland