J.K. Rowling’s Fantastic Beasts Is Every Sense Of The Word Fantastic!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Along with a lot of other people I have been frantically counting down the days till I could get to cinema to see this film. It is so exciting that another series of films are being made on J.K. Rowling’s wonderful Wizarding World, it is something we all wish to be apart of!

For those of you who aren’t aware, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is set before Harry Potter in 1920s New York, America. It features the main character of Newt Scamander who is played by Eddie Redmayne. He travels to America with a case of magical animals. It’s not long before something goes a bit wrong with his case of magical creatures and the story unravels from there.

See the trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vso5o11LuGU

Whilst you don’t need to have seen the other Harry Potter films, it does help if you are clued up on some of the knowledge as you will pick up on some of the subtle references made throughout the film.

Overall I really enjoyed the film and I loved the new set of characters. The visuals and animations of all the beasts are incredible and you forget the actors have to perform with none of them present, only a green screen to work with. 

Also (mini spoiler) the amazing world they create within the suitcase is completely mind blowing- I felt that they really kept the magic alive in this film and even helped to mature it a bit as it was mainly adults performing the magic therefore, the spells were a bit more complex and imaginative. It was also really interesting to see the American Wizarding world and the differences i.e. Muggles in the US are called a No Maj, as in Non Magic. 

I thought it was a really clever story line to create, however I felt that in certain parts it got a little bit confusing and that there were unnecessary complications to the plot that didn’t need to be there. However, in good old J.K. Rowling style I’m sure this will all be answered at some point within the next 4 films, which I can’t wait to see. The next film “Fantastic Beasts 2” is rumored to be out in 2018.

Rating 4/5

Student studying at Lancaster University, majoring in English language and minoring in Marketing and Linguistics. Interested in Beauty, Diet and Health.
Lover of fashion, beauty, art, travelling