Inside Lancaster Castle: Fighting Witchcraft

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Lancaster has quite the history regarding witchcraft, being home to the infamous Lancashire Witches during the 17th century.

(Image from historyextra.com) 

Arguably the most infamous witch trial in British history was that of the Pendle Witches, which took place in the castle over 400 years ago, in (August) 1612. Twelve people were accused of the crime punishable by death, two of these were men; one was tried in York, and one died imprisoned in the castle. Of the eleven that were tried, one was found not guilty, with the remaining ten being convicted of witchcraft and sentenced to death. A joint hanging of the nine took place on Lancaster Moor, somewhere near where Ashton Memorial/Williamson Park is now.

Another case round the same time, saw three other women, known as the Samlesbury Witches, found innocent; these trial records later came to be heavily influential in witch trials that followed, including in Salem. 

(Image from The Cumbrian Castle)

An important historic monument of not only Britain, but also internationally, Lancaster Castle has operated as a prison and a court, seeing many trials and executions over the years.

There are castle tours available on a regular basis, where visitors are allowed to wander various areas, like the grand court rooms, unless in session, and view numerous artefacts relating to crime and punishment etc. There’s a particularly fascinating reveal in the smaller crown court… It’s definitely worth a visit!

For added horror, you’ll get the chance to try out one of the medieval prison cells which is certainly a highlight of the tour!

The castle is running a new, special event, Prison Life Tours, on particular dates from 14th – 28th November, discussing themes of prison design, diet, work, health and hygiene, rules, punishment etc.

(Image from Marketing Lancashire)

There will also be Christmas related events next month, from the 16th – 17th December.

For more information on the castle, tours and events, the link to the official website is here: http://www.lancastercastle.com/

Studying English Language and Literature at Lancaster University