Five Sustainable Businesses You Have to Try in 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

If you’ve been following the news at all recently you’ll have seen two things: 1) The planet is 18 months from tipping point and 2) Greta Thunberg’s one compelling activist.

The combination of the two has spurred a flurry of sustainability movements in businesses which are impossible to ignore. It’s now easier than ever to live an eco-friendly life. So, here is a list of five sustainable, ethical companies to check out next time you’re browsing the web.

Cafédirect

Being a university student and drinking coffee go hand in hand, so why not fill your reusable flask with fair trade, sustainable coffee? Cafédirect is the UK’s first B corp-certified coffee corporation: they are leading the way in the coffee market, pushing it towards far more ethical spaces. They also ensure that 50% of profits get put back into a charity called Producers Direct, which works directly with farmers and aims to improve sustainability in the coffee industry and coffee growers’ livelihoods.

And a note to non-coffee drinkers: the company also produces its own range of fair-trade hot chocolate and tea, too!

Tala

Adopting a more eco-friendly lifestyle doesn’t have to begin and end at reusable cups and bags for life. With the rise of the fast-fashion industry comes huge damage to the environment, as highlighted by Stacey Dooley in her recent BBC3 documentary.

Introducing: Tala, the brainchild of YouTuber and entrepreneur Grace Beverley. Tala is a clothing brand that is making a difference by using upcycling methods to manufacture their clothing and funding research into sustainable materials. By limiting their use of chemicals in production methods, the company manages to save almost 5,000 litres of water per tonne of recycled cotton. 

The morale of the business is transparency: the Tala website offers information about the sustainability and composition of each individual item on sale. They’re also super inclusive, with clothes available in an extensive range of sizes. This is for sure a company to watch.

Clean Reserve Fragrances

Clean Reserve Fragrances is a perfume company with a difference. This business aims to limit the use of harmful chemicals that can irritate skin, as well as avoid using chemicals that produce harmful by-products. The eco-friendly packaging is 100% recyclable and all ingredients are sustainably sourced, making them usable for generations to come. On top of this, Clean Reserve Fragrances funds safe drinking water campaigns globally and only partner with like-minded organisations.

The perfumes tend to be on the expensive side, but you can get your hands on smaller, cheaper products, meaning you can try out a scent before investing in a full-sized bottle. There are several categories of scents available, including fresh, floral, and spicy. And, as if that wasn’t enough, they also offer a selection of vegan and cruelty-free fragrances as well!

ASOS made in Kenya

Constantly browsing ASOS instead of doing research for your upcoming essay? Guilty! Just make sure you’re checking out the ASOS made in Kenya collection! This partnership has actually been around since 2010, but the new limited-edition collection is particularly impressive as it collaborates with guest designers. The recent pieces are also unisex and super inclusive.

The collection is made in Rukinga, Kenya, where ASOS also run a stitching academy to train local people, creating much-needed job opportunities and ensuring sustainable economic growth. In the last eight years, the business has grown from a team of 4 to over 50 employees.

Wearth London

Wearth is an eco-friendly e-commerce platform stocking independent, sustainable UK brands. Their website features a range of products including make-up, candles, jewellery, even homeware. This site will transform your beauty habits, with everything from biodegradable glitter to reusable makeup pads. If you’re indecisive or nervous to delve into the world of eco-friendly beauty, the ‘Self Care Gift Set’ is perfect: a handmade selection of eco-friendly products sourced from sustainable materials, all in one place.

The site allows you to choose products through filters of desired values, such as zero waste goods, products made in the UK, and vegan items. And it still doesn’t stop there! Wearth offers an ‘Eco Inspo’ blog full of articles on vegan and veggie recipes, tips from ethical lifestyle writers, and carbon-footprint-reducing lifestyle tips.

So, if you’ve been putting off joining the eco-movement, now has never been a better time to jump on board. There’s definitely no excuse in 2019!

Caitlin McCarley

Lancaster '20

20 years old, Lancaster uni
Emily Watson

Lancaster '20

Linguistics and English Language 👩🏼‍🎓