This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Unless you’ve somehow managed to escape it, the hype around A Star is Born seems to be everywhere.

I’d seen the trailer a while ago and was intrigued by Lady Gaga playing such a significant role, so I added it to my watch list.

Making use of 2 for 1 cinema tickets through Meerkat Movies, I went to see whether it lived up to its great reputation. Spoiler alert- it did.

Image from Variety

The film stars Bradley Cooper, who plays Jackson Maine, a troubled but well-established musician who meets Ally, (Lady Gaga), a struggling singer-songwriter, looking for her big break. Ally’s dreams are quickly made a reality when she is given the confidence to pursue what she has always wanted- to be truly successful. The film is a remake of the original 1976 production starring Barbara Streisand and Kris Kristofferson.

Much as I’d always liked Lady Gaga’s music, I’d never really appreciated the full extent of her talent. Needless to say, the soundtrack has since been on repeat and I’d go as far to say that it’s up there with The Greatest Showman.

Image from Vulture

I don’t want to give too much away, but what I admired most about the film is that it shows the harsh realities and social issues of the music industry. Nothing is particularly glamourized, which makes for a poignant plot and also a lot of tears.

Unfortunately, Vue Lancaster is not currently showing A Star is Born. The nearest cinema is Reel at Morecambe, which is only a short bus ride away. Tickets are priced at £4.79.

Image from The Atlantic

If you love all things music and as well as a love story, this is definitely the film for you. Just be prepared to pack your tissues as well as your popcorn.

Rating: 9.5/10

Helen Jordan

Lancaster '19

Helen is a third year English Language student and will graduate in 2019. Her favourite topics to write about include cooking and tips for uni life. This is Helen's second year writing for Her Campus and she is looking forward to her role as Chapter Correspondent for Lancaster in the 2018/2019 academic year.