The Culture Column: Horns Film Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Horns is a thriller-comedy turned romance film directed by Alexandre Aja, who is the director that brought us The Hills Have Eyes. Although it was released in 2013 at Halloween, I’d never bothered to watch it. However, when I saw LUSU Cinema was showing it last Friday night I thought I would give it a go.

I was sceptical about watching Daniel Radcliffe in a non-Harry Potter role since previous experience made me think Radcliffe had limited acting skills. Admittedly, I was pleasantly surprised. His character Ig Perrish is your average twenty-something male whose life is great: he has the perfect girlfriend, a loving family and close friends. Or so it appears.

The film begins in a disorientating haze where he is accused of murdering his girlfriend Merrin (Juno Temple) whilst sprouting horns on his head. However, the story thankfully becomes captivating as the film progresses while we watch in anticipation as Ig tries to piece together the mystery of his girlfriend’s murder with the help of his horns.

The film incorporates light-hearted bawdy humour which is genuinely funny whilst exploring deeper issues within Ig’s life. Juno Temple’s performance as Merrin, although fairly brief alongside Radcliffe is compelling and haunting. Their relationship is enviable and flawed at the same time while the ending is suitably a successful tearjerker.

Although the ending of the film has received an enormous amount of criticism, I actually enjoyed it. I thought that the supernatural elements which are taken to the extreme were acceptable given that it’s supposed to be a thriller.

Ultimately, Radcliffe is definitely the star of the film. His performance as Ig is phenomenal and his American accent was perfected, helping him to finally cast off his Harry Potter persona.

So, if you’re stuck for ideas on what to watch with your other half, why not give Horns a chance? It incorporates a satisfying mix of comedy, horror and tear-filled romance which makes it more enjoyable than watching Dear John or The Notebook for the billionth time.

Final year English Literature student at Lancaster University, who loves art, writing and anything creative. Aspires to work in digital marketing and advertising in the future :)
My name is Hannah Hobson and I am currently studying English Language at Lancaster University with an ambition to become a fashion journalist.