The Culture Column: Apocalypto

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

A bit of an oldie (2007) but I watched this recently and needed to write about it! Directed by Mel Gibson, Apocalypto is one of the few films that will make you laugh, cry and cover your eyes as you follow the story of a Mesoamerican tribesman’s intense and gritty tale of survival. 

We follow the main character, Jaguar Paw, as he experiences the brutal attack on his village by Mayan warriors who are searching for prisoners and sacrifices. Now I have to say, the village scene is really graphic and intense, but it’s needed to realistically portray the trauma of such an event. The film then tracks Jaguar Paw’s experiences as a Mayan prisoner, drawing on both his physical and mental journey. 

What makes the film so enjoyable is the focus and time spent on character development, which allows you to be fully immersed into the dangerous, brutal but also peaceful and simple life of the villagers. The filming method also works in a way that there is little dramatic irony, so you only know what the character knows and so feel what the character feels when they feel it- pretty effective!

Unpredictably, in a film set centuries ago in a culture completely different to our own, there are comparisons and relatable topics to be made. Firstly there is literally banter between the villagers which I found awesome, as well as more serious topics such as the importance of family and community.

Issues that are still prevalent today feature and are discussed in the most poetic and engaging form, challenging us to think a little more about the impact humans are having on the Earth as well as human nature as a whole. Have a look at the link below to see what I mean:

I do have to stress that this film isn’t for the feint-hearted. Even I, a hardened horror film fanatic, found myself cringing at some of the more gory scenes. However I would say that this gore is not unnecessary and helps to create a more engaging and realistic portrayal of the experiences of the characters.

However, one criticism of this film is that, although the story, character development and special effects are brilliant, the historical content isn’t top notch in accuracy. Points like an overly naïve and simplistic portrayal of rural tribes, overly urbanised and vast Mayan cities and ‘heads on spike’ customs that were not actually a custom for this culture, can lead to a misrepresented indigenous, historical culture.

However, although the facts are a little skewed, watching the film as a fictional tale rather than an education in Mesoamerican culture shouldn’t hinder the experience for you too much; with this in mind I would definitely recommend that you give it a watch. It’s original perspective, excellent character development and a main character that surpasses Rambo through a cooler and more self-sufficient portrayal (my apologies Mr. Stallone) all makes for a great movie experience.

.
English Language and Linguistics student at Lancaster University, with a passion for all things magazine- be it beauty, fashion, lifestyle, career, reviews! Co-Editor for HerCampus Lancaster. Check out my instagram: conniemaitland