Campus Cutie – Rachel McHugh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Name: Rachel McHugh

Degree: English Language in the Media

Year: Final (3rd) Year

How are you involved with your campus?

After a year of working as a Fashion Columnist for Lancaster’s page of HerUni.com, I was thrilled when Emily and I got the opportunity to become Campus Correspondents and establish Her Campus Lancaster. The best thing about it? I get to work with one of my best friends, doing a job I genuinely love! We are both so excited about working with a fabulous team of writers to promote Lancaster’s writing talent to the world. I also write for the university newspaper, about fashion, beauty and life in general.

What are your plans, post-graduation?

I’ll concentrate on (hopefully) getting a good degree, then see what opportunities arise over the summer. I’m off on a dream holiday to Orlando with my boyfriend after exams, which is exciting and will be a brilliant way to celebrate the end of university. After that, who knows? Ideally, I will be working as a part of the fashion industry. I am really enjoying working on Her Campus and would love to be a fashion journalist, though I also have interests in marketing and PR.

What’s your favourite thing about university?

Without a doubt, all the amazing people I have met since being here. I know it’s really cringe but I’ve genuinely made best friends for life. I don’t even know how upsetting it’s going to be when we leave and can’t see each other as much!

How would your friends describe you in 3 words? After great debate they settled on Fashion-Forward, Intelligent and Sociable

Favourite food? Anything and everything Mexican…fajitas, tacos, burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas (carb-heaven!)

Favourite cocktail? Cosmopolitan, after my fictitious idol Carrie Bradshaw!

Place(s) you’d love to visit the most…

Erm…everywhere, haha! I’m still waiting to visit New York, and would love to do more of America in general. I also really want to go to Morocco. I would love to go exploring places that aren’t conventional; finding out about different cultures fascinates me.

You’ll never see me without…

My iPhone; it keeps me organised as well as sociable! 

I’m at my happiest when…

I’m spending time with friends or family. Not particular doing anything; just snuggled up in our pj’s watching telly or a good film.

Celebrity Crush…

Leonardo Di Caprio. Seriously, he never gets old just better and better!

Best style tip?

Always remove old nail varnish before applying another colour. It’s better for your nails, and you don’t have to spend as much time taking off the built up layers!

If you won the lottery, what is the first thing you would do?

Most DEFINITELY invest in some killer Manolos or Louboutins and a gorgeous Mulberry Bayswater. Then I might be boring and save the rest! You never know when you might need it.

If you could go back in time and tell your old self anything, what would it be?

I’d just tell myself not to do anything differently. The numerous times I’ve worried “what if…” “I wish I had done…”. But it’s all worked out perfectly. If I had done anything differently I might not have ended up with the same memories or the same wonderful friends I have today. So in short, I would go back and say just be yourself – it’s worked so far!

Final Year English Language in the Media student at Lancaster University. I write about literally anything but in particular love everything about fashion, culture and life in general!