Campus Celebrity: Maria Athanasiadou, Lead Coordinator for TEDxLancasterU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Hi Maria! I hear that you have a new leading position within the TEDxLancasterU exec team -Congratulations!

Thank you. This is my second year with TEDxLancasterU. Last year I was a Rule Maven and Sponsorship Officer, whereas this year I am one of the two Lead Coordinators/Organisers. As a Lead Coordinator, I am responsible for the general managing of the team and the financial management of the TEDxLancasterU. I am also dealing with the sponsors and negotiating deals, as well as drafting the contracts and making sure that the team follows the rules of the TED community.

You have been working with TEDx for quite some time now– can you tell us a bit about what the TEDx programme represents?

TED is an annual event that brings together the world’s leading thinkers and doers to share ideas that matter in any discipline, under the moniker “ideas worth spreading”. Created in the same spirit, TEDx is an opportunity to bring speakers into a community that tackles some of humanity’s toughest questions, attempting to answer them with innovation, enterprise, and enduring optimism. A TEDx event aims to inspire open-minded, curious, intelligent and eager to learn people to change their lives, their future, their community and ultimately their world.

As an obviously very successful woman in a position of leadership, what added value do you think women bring to initiatives like TEDx?

I would not want to be extreme and say that the world is male-oriented, but I cannot ignore the fact that in many areas this is still true. TEDx gives the chance to women to share their opinion freely and to be influential, without being criticised based on gender. When it comes to organising a TEDx event, I can say that women are more strategic, better at negotiating and organising, and calmer when having to deal with last minute issues.

And how do you think TEDx events could benefit Lancaster University communities?

TEDx events give the opportunity to people to share their ideas, say their opinion in public, inspire. People tend to forget how powerful their voice is and the impact it can have. New ideas are born every second around the world, and Lancaster is no exception to this rule. TEDxLancasterU is a platform for these ideas, visions that can start from a really small city and become known in nanoseconds around the entire world. You might ask how. All the videos from the conferences are shared on the official TEDx Youtube channel, giving a chance for local ideas to be shared widely, impacting on people all around the world and consequently spreading awareness concerning the local community and the university.

Over the years, I am sure you have had some exciting experiences, but what has been your proudest TEDx moment?

I was proud when I was first accepted as a member of the team. I was proud when I managed to secure our first sponsorship last year. I was proud when we found our 12 final speakers for last year’s conference. I was proud on the day of the conference and at the end of the night when I heard the last clapping from the audience. But my proudest TEDx moment was during the LUSU 14/15 Awards where the TEDxLancasterU Thinking Forward conference was awarded as the Best Student/Project of the Year. It always makes me proud when my hard work is recognised.

I believe you will start planning the next TEDxLancasterU event soon – could you tell us about how the main themes and the speakers are selected?

Indeed. We have already started planning this year’s TEDxLancasterU conference. The theme and the speaker nomination is always a public procedure. At the moment, we accept suggestions regarding the theme. Once we find the theme, we open the speakers’ nomination where the public can nominate speakers or individuals can nominate themselves. After that, the organising team will select, contact and invite the individuals that believes fit the current theme better.

The team aims to include speakers coming from different areas and tries to balance the number of external, local community and university speakers. If anyone is interested to suggest either a theme or a speaker, they are welcome to contact us at tedx@lancaster.ac.uk.

Is there any topic in particular you think should be discussed at the next TEDxLancasterU?

I am not going to lie. I am an environmentalist and a food passionate vegetarian. Therefore, I would love TEDxLancasterU to accommodate a talk regarding a mix of these two topics. Perhaps a theme that concerns the future of this planet, and how it is possible to save it by changing our eating habits and adopting new environmental policies.

That sounds fascinating! And finally, if you could choose any leading personality, who would you like to see at the next TEDxLancasterU?

Stephen Fry. I just admire the way his mind works and how much of a humanist he can be. I believe people can learn a lot from him by reading his work or listening to him; I would love to have him at the next TEDxLancasterU conference.

Thank you very much Maria, and keep up with the great work! The next TEDxLancasterU conference will take place during Lent Term 2016, so look out for their event updates or visit their website for more information.

Mother tongue English, fully Italian. Born in Tokyo, lived in Hong Kong, grew up in Milan and currently studying at Lancaster University, UK. Multi lingual, I love to read, write, sing, cook and lead a healthy lifestyle. Her Campus Lancaster Editor in Chief as of April 2014!