This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

With Halloween just around the corner, it’s time to get into the spooky mood with some of these movies! If you’re someone who prefers things to be a little bit spooky, rather than scary, then there will be something here for you!

Halloweentown (1998)

Undoubtedly a classic for the season, Disney’s Halloweentown encompasses everything good about Halloween. From the amber hues that fill every frame, to the late nineties vibe, it’s a feel good film that will bring you a bucketful of nostalgia.

Paranorman (2012)

Laika’s Paranorman is an underrated film that is often brushed off as being something for kids. But, it is certainly something worth appreciating. Fuelled by an intriguing plot about witches and the misgivings of witch trials (reflecting the history of Lancaster!), you will be hooked into the nuances and genuine sweetness of this film.

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

No Halloween movie list can exist without The Nightmare Before Christmas. Is it a Halloween movie? Is it a Christmas movie? I say it’s both. Filled with adventure (and misadventure), Jack Skellington and all the residents of Halloween Town will pull you into their world, and before you know it, you’ll be chanting along, ‘This is Halloween!’

Practical Magic (1998)

This movie is not necessarily Halloween centred (although the holiday does make an appearance!), but it is filled with all things spooky: spells, cauldrons and broomsticks. Practical Magic has it all. Witchcraft, sisters and revenge, what else could make a better movie? 

Beetlejuice (1988)

A young Winona Ryder encapsulates everything about loving the spooky side of life in this classic movie. Filled with melancholy mixed with comedy, ghosts, hauntings, demons and a fantastic soundtrack (dayyyyyyy-o), Beetlejuice is the perfect movie to get ready for Halloween. Just…don’t say his name three times.

The Addams Family (1991)

The ultimate spooky film. The Addams Family is everything you need in a Halloween movie, from Wednesday to Morticia, right down to Cousin Itt and Thing, you will absolutely fall in love with the world of the Addams. A positive message wrapped in spookiness, how perfect!

Make sure you check out the brand new adaptation of The Addams Family¸ coming to UK cinemas on the 25th October!

Currently a 3rd (and final!) year English Literature and Creative Writing student at Lancaster University.