etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Steps To Happiness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

The road to true happiness is a bumpy one. To triumph over unhappier times, spiritual authors claim to unlock the secret of joy somewhere amidst the endless supply of fluffy, self-help books available to read and ponder deeply over them tirelessly in a cloud of confusion. But should it really be that difficult to be happy? Life’s fundamental preoccupation, the pursuit of happiness, is often a daunting prospect. Take my hand and let’s break it down… 

1. Relationships

We receive happiness from the people we surround ourselves with. If you think back to your fondest of memories, then it’s guaranteed that the people involved are the ones who have helped make it that vivid, unforgettable moment.  Drive yourself away from negativity and steer towards people whose company you thoroughly enjoy and whose energy is so infectious you can’t help but catch their positivity. My motto is simply to be fiercely loving and ridiculously loyal to those special people in your life. Equally, however, as you nurture current relationships remember to embrace new friendships and look for opportunities to meet new, exhilarating people on your personal expedition to the sacred land of content.

2. Surround yourself with beautiful things

People aside, there are other ways to boost your mood both as a quick-fix, and a long-term remedy. Drench yourself with things that you love, things that smell good, things that taste heavenly, things that feel good for your soul and things that sound wonderful to your ears – play them loud and sing along at the top of your voices and dance. Always dance. As I’ve grown up, I’ve begun to form a stronger sense of what I truly enjoy. Rather than being told what you should and should not like in order to belong, try to immerse your senses daily with anything that brings you pleasure.

3. Stop comparing yourself 

Girls, it’s time we gave ourselves a break! Ambition is healthy but envy is dangerous. Just step back a little (right now), take a long, deep breath and bathe in the reality that, yes, there is always going to be someone with more money than you, someone who has something that you haven’t, or a Victoria Secrets model with a seemingly limitless supply of beauty, success and happiness to compare to. I hate to begin in such a negative manner, but please bear with me, as for every one of these allegedly perfect ideals there are thousands of real people undoubtedly much less fortunate. Now, reflect on all the good things about yourself and your life for which you are eternally grateful; whether these be personal qualities or achievements, loved ones, anything that makes you authentic individual that you are. You’ll see a life that’s actually soaked with riches so priceless, that no amount of money could possibly afford them.

4. Switch off

Amidst the chaos of life in the digital world, things can feel a little hectic – a persistent frenzy of buzzing and bleeping and alerting and notifying. It’s great, to some extent, but perhaps the issue lies with the persistent part… If it is our natural instinct to pursue happiness, to seek emotional pleasure and to avoid pain; then how can we fully commit to strengthening relationships, improving ourselves, learning and achieving when our brains are relentlessly connected elsewhere? Not for one second am I implying you must be a technophobe in order to be happy, no, I simply urge you to pause occasionally and step away. This means turning off your phones and giving your friends and family your full, unwavering attention. Give it a go, no replying to emails, making phone calls or worse, aimlessly scrolling through social media feeds to see Kim Kardashian’s latest selfie (or belfie).

5. Lay down some goals 

Break down big goals. Instead of ‘where do you want to be in 10 years’ time?’ ask yourself ‘what do you want to accomplish today?’ Something tangible you can act on at once; a target you can reach and, when you do, you can feel that deepest, warmest satisfaction sit comfortably in the bottom of your tummy. Triumph over these more manageable goals will push you one success closer to finalizing your ultimate dreams and making yourself the best possible version of who you are inside and out.

Please, just give at least one of these five little steps a try! You’ll be full of beans in no time, I promise.

Love Laura

x

Fashion, Dance, Fitness, Food & Travel Aspiring digital marketing consultant...https://twitter.com/lauramaydawsonInstagram: lauramaydawson 
English Language and Sociolinguistics student at Lancaster University. Writer, editor and soon to be teacher.Campus Correspondent for HC Lancaster: emilyhaigh@hercampus.com.Instagram: emilykatehaighTwitter: EMHAIGHx