This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

January is easily the most boring month for students: the festivities of December are long gone and we have a tendency to overspend on Christmas gifts and end of term nights out. If you’ve got a bit of a gruelling term ahead of you, don’t worry- there’s relaxation and better weather on the horizon Here’s a selection of fresh and affordable holiday destinations for you to browse to help beat the January blues.

Riga, Latvia

Dubbed the ‘Berlin of the Baltics’, Riga fuses Nordic charm with colourful old town buildings you’d expect from other eastern European destinations to produce a vibrant and cosmopolitan capital city. It’s a hub for modern art and experimental eateries. A stroll along the cobblestones of old town will reveal medieval churches and bustling street food markets.

Lake Bled, Slovenia

Slovenia captures the charm of nearby Italy, it’s a fraction of the price of Croatia’s inundated coastal resorts and has stunning scenery to rival the Alps, including the perfectly turquoise Lake Bled. Alongside holding the status as one of the greenest cities in Europe, the capital, Ljubljana has charming riverside cafes in the summer and a castle straight out of a fairy tale.

Yerevan, Armenia

One of the best things about travelling on a budget is getting to discover somewhere off the beaten track. If you’re looking to venture outside of Europe then Yerevan, the capital of Armenia, is an absolute gem of a city, finding itself in a melting pot of European and Asian cultures. Flights can be under £100 and once you’re there, you’ll be confronted with an intriguing clash of the ultra-modern and the traditional. All you have to do is wander down an alleyway to discover stunning 19th century churches or bustling outdoor dining areas. Armenia is famous for being home to over 4,000 ancient monasteries, and plenty of them are within an hour’s road trip of the city!

Ionian Coast, Italy

Italy really does have it all: the food, the culture, and the weather. However, the top tourist destinations are swamped with visitors all summer long and hotels and restaurants are keen to exploit travellers with inflated prices. Venture away from the hustle and bustle of northern Italy to somewhere slightly off the beaten track and discover the rustic charm of the Ionian coastline. You may know this region as the ‘boot of Italy’ and its home to Mount Etna, an ancient Greek theatre and a regional capital with World Heritage status. Fly into Catania then wave the tourist traps goodbye by hiring a car to explore idyllic vineyards and hiking routes.

Madeira

A lesser known island compared to the Canaries and the Balearics, but more beautiful and a lot calmer. The Portuguese island of Madeira has the perfect warm and breezy Atlantic climate, a charming capital city and dining options for every budget. This destination offers the ideal balance between a lazy holiday in the sun and opportunities to delve into local culture. Ride a traditional toboggan down the hillsides of Funchal (if you dare) or discover the island’s dramatic rugged landscape on a hiking tour.

Even if you manage huge savings on flights, accommodation and food, one thing you should never scrimp on is travel insurance- particularly important if you’re venturing out of the EHIC zone or doing any extreme sports. The Travel Aware website offers you advice on sorting out travel insurance so have a scroll through https://www.gov.uk/guidance/foreign-travel-insurance.

Insurance for a week-long trip could cost as little as the price of a cup of coffee or glass of wine- so get booking!

Anna Dakin

Lancaster '20

Final year Languages & LEC student at Lancaster.
Currently a 3rd (and final!) year English Literature and Creative Writing student at Lancaster University.