4 Superfoods You Should Be Incorporating In To Your Diet: The Food Blog

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

1. It’s Tea Time 

Flavoured, herbal, fruity or sweet…Whatever the flavour, tea is the way to go! Yes, green tea tastes delicious and can help in burning fat more easily, but why is it a superfood? The antioxidants in tea help protect you from many different illnesses. As if this wasn’t already enough, tea reduces the risk of heart attacks and cardiovascular related diseases. Have one in the morning to start your day off, and sip one before going to bed. You won’t feel bloated and your insides will be pure and cleansed. 

2. Citrus All Day, Every Day

Citrus fruits are the way to go. From oranges to lemons, these fruits are not only full of vitamins and are healthy energy boosts, they don’t contain fats or sodium. They also reduce the risk of chronic diseases and tumour growth, and lower the possibility of you having a stroke.  If you’re not a fan of citrus fruits, you can still incorporate them in your diet. Add chopped lime and lemon into a fresh jug of water and sip that throughout the day, instead of water. The taste is super refreshing and it’s not as harsh when diluted. Drink up!

3. Berries Are Red, Berries Are Blue

Whichever colour berry you’re going for, have lots and lots of them. Packed with anti-oxidants, they are so easy to have during the day. How about raw instead of popcorn while watching a movie, melted on top of yogurt, mixed in with your morning oats or as a frozen treat when the weather gets warmer? They help lower blood pressure and improve blood vessel function, too. What’s there not to love?

4. Green Fever

We all know green vegetables are good for you, blah blah blah. But who has told you which ones you should really eat? Let that be me. Spinach: With bucket-loads of iron and protein, this leafy green helps with improving your memory and reduce inflammation that harms the functioning of your brain. And yes, we are students, we really need that extra brain-boost. Cucumber: made up mostly of water, this super-food is nutritious, delicious and totally yummy. It aids digestion, therefore contributing to weight loss, and it is also good in preventing headaches. Cucumber for lunch it is!

Mother tongue English, fully Italian. Born in Tokyo, lived in Hong Kong, grew up in Milan and currently studying at Lancaster University, UK. Multi lingual, I love to read, write, sing, cook and lead a healthy lifestyle. Her Campus Lancaster Editor in Chief as of April 2014!
English Language and Sociolinguistics student at Lancaster University. Writer, editor and soon to be teacher.Campus Correspondent for HC Lancaster: emilyhaigh@hercampus.com.Instagram: emilykatehaighTwitter: EMHAIGHx