What People Don’t Tell You About College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

As a freshman, there is really no way to know what to expect with college. It is more than doing your homework and taking tests. After just my first semester as a freshman, here’s a few things I learned:

1. You will have a lot of free time

Even though homework and classes take up multiple hours a day, there is still a lot of time where you will be sitting in your dorm room bored. That’s why you should join as many clubs as you can. Sign up for a ton. It doesn’t mean you have to be a part of every single one but try them all! 

2. Friends take time

Don’t expect to make a set friend group right away. It takes time and effort for that to happen, and for many, it doesn’t even happen in the first semester. Everyone is new and in the same boat. I promise you are not alone if you feel like you have no friends. I can guarantee there are tons of other people around you that feel the exact same way, just may not be showing it. Ask people in your classes to get lunch or dinner. It’s a simple and casual way to meet a ton of new people.

3. Your eating schedule will change

Going from walking downstairs to going across campus to get food is a big change. It has definitely impacted whether or not I eat breakfast. So does having an 8 am class. It can be hard to force yourself to leave your room on a gross rainy day because you haven’t eaten lunch but trust me, you need the food. Especially if you have a lot of homework, your brain needs fuel, don’t just eat junk in your dorm.

4. Nobody cares what you wear to class

Coming into college, I didn’t know if people dressed “cute” for class or just wore sweats and sweatshirts. After a few weeks, I realized I would rather be comfy for my 8 am than in jeans. And more people feel the same way than you would expect. Just be comfortable and confident in whatever you decide to wear.

It’s important to remember that everyone’s college experience is different. You will come into school with a lot of unknowns and just have to figure it out along the way, and eventually, it will all fall into place.

Julia Stahl

Lafayette '25

I am currently a first year student at Lafayette College.