This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

Confession: I hate being the person on aux. My music taste ranges so much and cannot be categorized into just one genre. Thus, I have kept my music taste to myself until now. Now it is time to share with the world what I have been playing in my earbuds my whole life. Here’s a range of what I have been listening to in my first two months at college to take you through all your moods:

For when you want a nostalgic oldies vibe:

These are songs I grew up listening to with my parents. I love listening to music I used to hear all the time at home. One of my favorite bands, Creedence Clearwater Revival, is very underrated but has multiple songs worthy of a listen.

1. Have You Ever Seen The Rain by Creedence Clearwater Revival 

2. (Don’t Fear) The Reaper by Blue Öyster Cult

3. You Don’t Know How It Feels by Tom Petty

4. Message In A Bottle by The Police 

5. Band On The Run by Paul McCartney 

For those nights out with the girls: 

Here are some classic party songs to please the crowd. Sometimes the music on the radio is just not the right vibe to get you hyped for a spinner. Let me start off by saying: Mr. Brightside by The Killers will not doubt get any college student to belt out the lyrics at the top of their lungs.

1. Mr. Brightside by The Killers 

2. Like A G6 by Far East Movements 

3. Stacy’s Mom by Bowling For Soup

4. Everytime We Touch by Casada 

5. Party In The USA by Miley Cyrus

For when you’re walking around campus:

They all have a different mood but are undeniably great songs in their own right. These are a couple of the best songs that can make the walk to class much shorter. To begin the list, Good Things Fall Apart by ILLENIUM has been the song that will forever be associated with my freshman fall.

1. Good Things Fall Apart by ILLENIUM, Jon Bellion
  2. Water Fountain by Alec Benjamin 
  3. The Fall by Bryce Vine
  4. Someone To You by BANNERS
  5. By Myself by Christian French

For when you’re feeling laidback:

In my humble opinion, country music can be great when you are in the right mood. I listen to country mostly in the summer so when I hear a country twang it reminds me of happy summer memories.  These specific songs always fulfill my country music fix. My first pick, Marry Me by Thomas Rhett, not only sounds beautiful but also tells a heartbreaking story of love.

1. Marry Me by Thomas Rhett

2. When It Rains It Pours by Luke Combs

3. Heaven by Kane Brown

4. When the Good Guy Wins by Granger Smith

5. She Got the Best of Me by Luke Combs

For when you’re sad:

These songs are perfect for those rainy days when you feel sad or lonely. Whether you are homesick, failed an exam, or simply are having a bad day, there is definitely a song that speaks to your melancholy mood. My top choice is Lay Me Down by Sam Smith because it’s the best song for a good cry if you ever need to get rid of any sad feelings.

1. Lay Me Down by Sam Smith

2. LA On A Saturday Night by Hearts & Colors

3. Be Alright by Dean Lewis

4. the broken hearts club by gnashing

5. all the kids are depressed by Jeremy Zucker

Whatever your mood is, there is a song for it. I typically get stuck in a cycle of listening to the same songs on repeat. Hopefully, this gives you some inspiration for some songs to add to your playlists this fall!

Layla Ennis

Lafayette '23

Junior at Lafayette College
Huge bagels and Soundcloud enthusiast.