This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

2020 has been a lonely year. Never have I had more time to myself. I have been an avid podcast listener for a few years now. However, with having more time on my hands I have had to search for more content. Listen up for  some podcast recommendations.

I would bet that there is a podcast for just about anything. This means that you should be able to find a podcast that is focused specifically on your hobbies and interests. For me, I have been sucked into the world of true crime podcasts. My favorites include Crime Junkie and Morbid: A True Crime Podcast. 

Morbid is an example of the perfect podcast. I am not claiming that a murder podcast is perfect for everyone. But the elements of storytelling, conversation, and variation of Morbid should be present in any podcast. 

Morbid is hosted by Ashleigh (Ash) Kelley and Alaina Urquhart. They have produced over 182 episodes which make for the perfect binge. These episodes include murder, hauntings, listener tales, and deep dives into specific topics like sleep paralysis. 

Ash and Alaina are an aunt-niece duo but they are more like sisters. Their banter, anecdotes, and sometimes foul language makes you feel like you’re sitting in a room with a couple of best friends. Each week Ash and Alaina research a story independently and then tell it on the podcast. The episodes are spiced up by live reactions to the story from the other host. Morbid is not 100% professional or perfect but that is what makes it authentic and original. 

Here are some more of my favorite podcast suggestions.

True Crime:

Morbid: A True Crime Podcast

Crime Junkie

Criminal

Park Predators

News:

The Daily

Skimm This 

Famous People:

The Michelle Obama Podcast

Getting Curious with Jonathan Van Ness

Deep Dive:

Serial  

In general, I have found that podcasts with lots of long episodes keep me engaged and entertained throughout the day. My mundane day to day tasks of cooking, cleaning, and even taking a hike can be accompanied by a good podcast. 

I encourage you to browse through Spotify or the Apple Podcasts app to find the podcast best suited for you. Look for interesting topics, engaging hosts, and preferably lots of episodes to binge. It might take a couple of tries to find the right podcast but once you do you will be hooked.

P.S. You should also go check out our new Her Podcast Lafayette hosted by Tara Taggart and Kate Bettez.