Raising Trans Voices: #transrightsreadathon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

After the wave of #transrightsreadathon and in honor of International Transgender Day of Visibility on March 31, I have compiled a list of transgender authors and books. If you don’t know what #transrightsreadathon is, allow me to explain. Started by @sim_kern on Twitter and @sim_bookstagrams_badly on Instagram, it is an effort to read books by “trans authors and raising money for trans orgs.” The idea was born out of a frustration for the continued oppression that trans people face in the legal sense. You would pledge to read a certain amount of books, and you could donate money for however many books, pages, chapters, etc., that you read. You’re free to define it however you want! I donated to the Transgender Law Center for reading Detransition, Baby by Torrey Peters.

This was the format for the read-a-thon: 

1. Fill out the sign up/exit form
  2. Choose a trans organization, fun or individual, to support
  3. Set up a fundraising page (optional)
  4. Make content using the hashtag #transrightsreadathon
  5. Support the readathon! Like, comment, repost any content that has the hashtag to increase visibility!

The read-a-thon lasted from March 20-27. I hope it will effect change and, at the very least, get trans authors well-deserved visibility and appreciation. 

Here are some amazing books by trans authors or about trans people: 

1. Seeds for the Swarm by Sim Kern
  2. Real Sugar is Hard to Find by Sim Kern
  3. Depart, Depart! by Sim Kern
  4. Genderqueer by Maia Kobabe
  5. Detransition, Baby by Torrey Peters
  6. Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas
  7. The Sunbearer Trials (duology) by Aiden Thomas
  8. Heartstopper (a series of comic books) by Alice Oseman
  9. I Keep my Exoskeletons to Myself by Marisa Crane
  10. Love and Other Disasters by Anita Kelly
  11. Always the Almost by Edward Underhill
  12. Summer Fun by Jeanne Thornton
  13. A Lady for a Duke by Alexis Hall
  14. Chef’s Kiss by TJ Alexander
  15. Mimosa by Archie Bongiovanni 
  16. Who I Was With Her by Nita Tyndall
  17. Felix Ever After by Karen Callender
  18. Fierce Femmes and Notorious Liars: A Dangerous Trans Girl’s Confabulous Memoir by Kai Cheng Thom
  19. The Death of Vivek Oji by Akwaeke Emezi
  20. Redefining Realness: My Path to Womanhood, Identity, Love & So Much More by Janet Mock

Do I dare suggest a trans rights binge-a-thon? Watch some movies that are by and about trans, and support trans organizations for each movie you watch! Here’s a list to get you started…

1. Boys Don’t Cry, directed by Kimberly Peirce
  2. Cowboys, directed by Anna Kerrigan
  3. Feel Good, directed by Ally Pankiw
  4. Heartstopper, directed by Euros Lyn
  5. Disclosure, directed by Sam Feder
McKenna Graf

Lafayette '26

McKenna is at Lafayette College studying English and FAMS. She spends her free time reading or rambling about her favorite movies/tv shows. Her favorite feeling is sitting next to a fire reading a book after a long day of skiing. She loves to write articles about things she's experienced (and obviously adding fun anecdotes about her family) and she hopes you enjoy reading.