This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

We’ve all received the “Wanna hang out?” message from someone we’re ‘talking’ to at 1am. But, hanging out doesn’t mean the same thing as it once did. Now, us young adults are using ‘hang out’ as code for ‘sit next to each other and pretend to be interested in something while the sexual tension builds to an unbearable level’…or as society calls it: Netflix and Chill.

I don’t know about you, but watching Netflix (or any other streaming service of your choice) with someone is hardly ever innocent unless they’re a friend. It typically starts off with the struggle to find a show, then finally settling in on one, only to be rustling around under a blanket 10 minutes later.

Not everyone can speak up and be forward about what they want, so using Netflix and Chill as an excuse to get…closer…to someone is always reliable. If you happen to find yourself in a situation where you’re the one who wants to initiate the, ehem, chill then keep reading for my personal favorite TV shows and movies that set the mood.

Friends (1994-2004) “The One Where Ross and Rachel… You Know” 2×15

Who doesn’t love Friends? The sit-com is a college student favorite (along with The Office and It’s Always Sunny) and is an easy choice when you’re unsure of what to put on. Friends has comedic value and is super relatable, which can help ease the tension if you’re “chilling” with someone new, but also doesn’t skimp on innuendos and sexual tension in its scenes. There are many episodes that deal with the ups and downs of Ross and Rachel’s relationship…skip over those and go right to the hot ones. Particularly season 2, episode 15, “The One Where Ross and Rachel…You Know”. Ross and Rachel go on their first date in the planetarium, and it gets super steamy in the cavemen exhibit. The scene isn’t explicit, but it’s suggestive enough to get things going.

Heathers (1988)

This selection doesn’t have any of the steamy scenes that you might be looking for, nevertheless, it’s a wonderful choice. Heathers encompasses tons of suspense and is enough of a thriller to keep you cuddled up and waiting for more, but not so creepy or unsettling that you’re going to jump at any sudden sound. This movie is a cult classic, but the scenes are predictable enough to allow you to veer off into “chill” territory without missing the entire plot. A good 20-minutes-in-heaven won’t leave you missing the point of the film, and it’s so compelling that you’ll wanna keep watching for the post-O cuddle. 

Game of Thrones (2011-2019)

Like Ser Davos said, nothing _____ us harder than time (Ser Davos is a character from Game of Thrones, for all my non-watchers). That might be a constraint when it comes to Netflix and Chill, since the show is 8 seasons long and insanely addicting, but all you really need is season 1 to get your mood-setting content. In particular, the second sex scene between Danaerys and Drogo. While you might find the first scene between them just as appealing, it’s pretty problematic to call it ‘hot’, so instead we’ll focus on the scene where Dany tells Drogo she’d like to look upon his face as they uhm…get jiggy with it. When you incorporate the blatant nudity, raw sexual magnetism of Khal Drogo, and the power dynamics at play in the scene…you get a nearly perfect set up for an intensely hot and heavy ‘chill’. Also, if you’ll be chilling with this person more than once you guys won’t have to search for a show every time! GoT never disappoints.

Game of Thrones can’t be watched on Netflix (darn you, HBO) but if you have HBO you can stream it through Hulu, Amazon, or directly from HBO!

Mindhunter (2017-Present)

Last, but certainly not least, Mindhunter, the crime-drama that inched its way into all of our hearts. Like Game of Thrones, this Netflix original is highly addictive. You’d expect a show with content as heavy and dark as Mindhunter to not have any sex appeal, but its sex appeal in conjunction with its portrayal of the FBI’s behavioral analysis unit in its early stages is what makes the show so unique. The show finds a way to incorporate true cases and psychological breakthroughs with the everyday life and relationships of the FBI agents. While he seems like a simple character in season 1, Holden is far from it. Shortly after meeting Debbie in a bar, they hook up and she breaks him out of his shell. The scene between them is perfect to stimulate your brain (and other parts?). Debbie doesn’t hold back on giving Holden instructions on what he should do, and it can help give a sex-positive feel if you’re a shy person. The scene does contain nudity and dirty talk so…get ready for the tension if you go with this choice for your Netflix and chill session.

This list is in no way exclusive, and virtually anything can be chosen for Netflix and Chill (I mean, are we really watching anyway?). Considering the time of year, these are perfect any set up ranging from a comfy and comedic scene like in Friends, to spookier content like Heathers. In any case, Netflix and chill isn’t really about what you watch! It’s who you’re with and the energy in the room, so take a breather, relax, and have fun with it.

Laya Allen

Lafayette '24

who would wanna think inside the box? being weird is a blessing.
Huge bagels and Soundcloud enthusiast.