This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Around this time four years ago, I was preparing for the rest of my life. Graduation was approaching and the next step was college. A moment filled with excitement could not defer my fear to what I thought was adulthood.  I walked down the high school halls with a strut and was prepared for anything thrown my way.

Four years later, now on my fourth and last year of college, I do not feel the same. My walks down the college halls are reminiscent to Frankenstein strut. Thus, dragging my feet along the pavement to a class that does not count for anything but forgotten credits is becoming unbearable.  This is what we students call #senioritis. Senior year, the last of the Mohicans, the finale that determines your future after college is approaching. Though almost defeating their collegiate studies, many students get caught in the senioritis whirlpool by missing classes, failing test and failing to create an after-college plan.  It is hard to not get trapped, however, every year majority of graduates is able to break the cycle and move on them with their lives. Here are my tips for surviving the senioritis.

1. Buy and Utilize a Planner.

Though this does not sound like much, a planner is the first step towards organization. Finding a planner that fits your style will motivate you to do something every day. Keeping yourself busy with everyday tasks helps pace your life and gives you fulfillment when the tasks are done. As a senior, you also have to grasp time management skills and defeat procrastination. You have to utilize the small amount of time you do have to help further your friendships, academics and career. Planners also help you keep up with everyday assignments, important dates and deadlines.  

2. Get Motivated!

Simple but effective, the easiest way to continue with school is to follow the thing that kept you in college in the first place. Everyone has their reasoning for attending college and staying. Not everyone can put up with 4+ years with nutty professors, unnecessary 10 page articles and paying to print those articles. That thing that keeps students attending is that motivation. Continue reminding yourself that you made it this for and there is nothing that can stop your progression. Transitioning from college to graduate school or a career will be demanding and harsh, so continue believing in that inner motivation.

3. Take Care of Yourself First!

College depression and anxiety is child’s play compared to the real world.  Please work on yourself before you attempt to tackle the real world. Work on developing better and healthier habits. No I don’t mean just eating healthier and transforming to an unrealistic diet. I mean developing habits that make you feel better. From yoga to hiking, and even going to Piano Piano Thursdays with your friends just because they have a discount.

Either way do things that make you enjoy the life you’re living like and gives you purpose. Also keep your mindset healthy! Try practicing ways to keep your brain working for the better. Avoid fear of the future by reminding yourself of how amazing you actually are. You defeated something that not a lot of people attempt, college. Continue growing and accomplishing everything you put your mind to.   

Autumn Simon is a journalism major at the University of La Verne in California. She is an aspiring publicist. She is a movie junkie and is interested in all things Disney. While she isn't in class she is multicultural chair on the Campus Activity Board, publicist of Shades of Essence, a part time Cast Member at Disneyland, a writer for La Vouge and a writer for the campus' magazine and newspaper.