Start Being Environmentally Conscious

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.
  1. Change your diet.By keeping your diet rich in beef, you can actually be causing harm to the environment. There is a lot of water and grain used to feed cattle, and these resources can be used in a much more efficient way.  Along with this, cattle is known for excessive methane gas release, which is harmful to the atmosphere. 
    1. Choosing to eat chicken is a wiser decision for the environment as it is a better use of resources. They require less land to raise and less grain to feed. 
    2. Meatless Mondays are a great way to make a small adjustment to your red meat consumption. 
  2. Choose the products you buy wisely.
    1. Try to cut down on your plastic usage, in items like plastic water bottles and plastic bags. Reusable water bottles and canvas bags are great options!
    2. Soaps and cleaners with harsh chemicals and dyes are only put back into the environment when washed down the drain so cut down on buying from companies that still use these harsh chemicals. 
    3. Aerosol Sprays are known for being damaging to the atmosphere and by limiting your usage of these sprays you will be cutting down on one of the many things that damages the atmosphere.
    4. Clothing is one major use of resources, so by donating your old clothes you prevent them from being thrown into a landfill. You can also thrift shop for clothes to ensure that you are reusing resources effectively.
  3. Use your resources wisely.
    1. Manage your usage of air conditioning and heating by ensuring all windows and doors are properly closed and sealed. You can also save energy (and money!) by ensuring that your insulation is updated to prevent heating and air condign form escaping through thin walls. Try to turn off air and heat when no one is home and avoid turning them to levels that are unnecessary. 
    2. Limit water usage as much as possible! This is very important for us as Californians, so we should all make an effort to avoid running the water when we don’t need to. 
    3. Try carpooling and using public transportation, it helps save gas and prevents excessive release of harmful emissions from your vehicles. When you’re not using your car, try not to run the engine longer than what it needs to be run.
  4. Reach out and try to get others to think about these small steps to save your planet for future generations!