This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

With storms taking over the sky this week, it is easy for Californians to panic when it comes to rainy day fashion. Staying warm and dry is easy with these essentials that will help you rock your outfit in the rain.

1.  Rain jacket

In Southern California it can be raining one minute and 80 degrees the next. This is why layers are key so that no matter what the sky decides to do, you can always take off your jacket and sweater to embrace the sun or throw on your scarf when it starts to hail. A rain jacket is key because even though 60 degrees has us shivering, a coat may end up being too heavy. 

Liz Ortiz, junior journalism major, layers a sweater and a scarf underneath a trendy rain jacket. 

2. Rainy day boots

Oftentimes, the hardest part of putting together a rainy day outfit is figuring out how to keep your feet nice and toasty without ruining a pair of your favorite boots. Have a pair of boots that are protected with scotch guard or leather protector so that they will be able to withstand the rain. 

Amanda Larsh, sophomore broadcasting major, wears her rainy day boots with jeans tucked in to keep her pants dry.

3. Scarves

Scarves, essential for any weather, are especially important for the rain. The extra layer of a scarf is important to keep you warm while walking to class and is easy to take on and off throughout the day. Since the weather is so unpredictable for us in Southern California, having a scarf handy is vital to being prepared for anything! 

Kristina Bugante, sophomore journalism major, layers a knitted white scarf over a porcupine sweater and rain jacket to complete her rainy day attire. 

Kellie Galentine is a journalism major at the University of La Verne in California. She is a campus correspondent for Her Campus at La Verne and is one of the founders of her campus' chapter. Kellie is also a member of Sigma Kappa Sorority.