Her Campus Logo Her Campus Logo

Planned Parenthood Fundraiser Near ULV

Trump signed an executive order on January 23, 2017 barring federal funds from organizations (cough cough Planned Parenthood) that promote abortion. Majority of the services provided by Planned Parenthood, however, have nothing to do with abortions. Abortions only account for 3 percent of the services provided by Planned Parenthood. The other 97% of funding goes to STD’s/STI’s, contraception, cancer screenings, and other women services- all of which are basic neccessities that should be accessible to all women. 

 

In the midst of this new presidency, not only was there the Women’s March on Washington ( and just about every other major city in the WORLD), but there’s also been major fundraising for Planned Parenthood. 

A tattoo shop in Pomona joined other LA based tattoo shops on February 19th to raise funds for Planned Parenthood. 100% of the proceeds went to the cause and the tattoo artists donated their time and created several flash tattoo sheets for the event. Piercings were also being offered and discounted for the event and if neither tattoos nor piercings were your cup of tea, then they also accepted donations. 

This tattoo shop, combined with the other tattoo shops that participated raised over TWENTY thousand dollars for Planned Parenthood!

ULV student, Siena Eyrich and friend Courtney Babcock partook in the event at the local tattoo shop in Pomona. They were gracious enough to explain why they are continuing to fight for Women’s rights and Planned Parenthood, along with pictures of their amazing tattoos!

 

1.. Have you personally used any of Planned Parenthood’s services? 

Siena: Yes, I’ve been using PPH for about 4-5 years. 

Courtney Babcock: Yes, PPH has been my main provider for birth control for a little over 6 years now. 

 

2.. What made you guys want to participate in the Planned Parenthood Flash tattoo fundraiser? 

S: I, unfortunately, had to work during the Women’s March and couldn’t attend.The government is starting to let us (women) down and strip us of our basic human rights. I felt like this was a way I could participate and do my part to help give people access to medical care.

C: Hearing that any clinic that provided abortions were losing their federal funding angered me. I feel that our government should be willing to provide young women (and men) with family planning knowledge and professional medical assistance. The nation’s prescription medication prices are too high, and many people don’t have the ability to afford this type of health care. I wanted to do my part to continue to give people access to it. 

3.. Why did you choose the tattoo(s) that you did?

S: I chose the heart Venus symbol because I want to celebrate women, past, present and future. 

C: I chose the Fallopian tubes giving the middle finger. I usually portray my passion and emotions in a vulgar manner; as an artist I feel it’s a good way to express myself. Plus this tattoo is exactly how I think women should feel about the rights our president is denying us. We should have access to safe abortions, we should have access to birth control; it’s basic human rights. 

4.. How many people do you think attended the event in total? And how much was raised? 

S: Ink’d tattoo would only tattoo 60 people and their sheet was filled by 11am. They raised over $5,000. 

C: They announced they would only accept 60 people for donations. But I know a lot more than that were interested. 

5.. Why do you think it is important to stay active in fundraising for Planned Parenthood? 

S: I think it’s important because without PPH a lot of women, children and men couldn’t have access to affordable medical care. 

C: Now that federal funding is cut, we have to join together as a community to help those who would otherwise not have access to this type of health care. 

Thank you so much Siena and Courtney for being such amazing women’s rights activists and being such badass’s too!

 

Taylor is a psychology major (and a One Direction enthusiast) attending the University of La Verne in Southern California. When she isn't studying, you can find her reading and binge-watching Peaky Blinders or The Resident.
Similar Reads👯‍♀️