This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Thanksgiving is a time to reflect on all that you are thankful for in your life as the year winds down. Most families have their own traditions for how they spend this holiday. Here are a few unique quirks that my family has. Here is how my family’s thanksgiving goes…

Cleaning Part 1: The day begins with delegating cleaning tasks to make the house presentable for any guests we have over. 

Turkey Time:  Cooking a turkey can take all day. This is a huge responsibility in my house. My mom goes to extreme measures to ensure that our dinner is delicious, like massaging and talking to the turkey as she prepares it. 

Bubbly Drinks: Sparkling cider is a must in my house. We make toasts at the dinner table and go around the table sharing what we are thankful for. 

Keep on Wishing: Every year my brothers and I make a huge deal about who gets to break the wishbone. In order to decide who gets to compete we hold a paper rock scissors contest, the final two get to crack the wishbone. 

Football!: Thanksgiving falls on a Thursday, which means Thursday Night Football after dinner, aka screaming at the TV like you’re the coach. 

The Leftover Show: Put your creativity to the test! Turkey sandwiches, turkey and eggs, turkey soup, turkey salad… we eat turkey until every last piece is gone, no matter how long it takes.

Give thanks for your family, friends, and experiences you have endured; they have helped shape the person you are today. Above all, be thankful. 

I am a second year student at the University of La Verne majoring in Educational Studies. My other on campus involvement includes serving on the Campus Activity Board as the Special Events chair, as well as being Treasurer for the University of La Verne Chorale and Chamber Singers. Thanks for reading!