This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

This year’s presidential election has caused much uproar throughout the world; everyone is feeling apprehensive about the future of politics. I, for one, have begun to feel somewhat fearful. Since I was just about 10 years old, Barack Obama has been the President of the United States. And although I wasn’t exactly as “wrapped up” in politics then as I am now, I can clearly remember the hope that his inauguration inspired for many groups of people throughout the country. This election, though, has not been comparable whatsoever. Now that I am an adult, I feel almost ashamed that this was the first election that I had the privilege to vote in.

I feel this way for many reasons; the most important, however, is that I am afraid that all of the progress that has been made toward a more liberal country – from the growth of planned parenthood to national marriage equality, things have changed quite a bit during Obama’s two terms. Particularly, though, I am afraid for women – over these few years we have fought hard and soon the fight will begin again. One of the landmark feminist causes – the fight for easy access (or even just legal access) to abortion services through groups like Planned Parenthood – can and will be threatened under our new administration.

According to the Washington Post, Mr. Trump may have the privilege to appoint as many as five new supreme court justices. I presume that it is very unlikely that any of these new justices will be pro-choice warriors, considering Mr. Trump’s past statements regarding planned parenthood and abortion. Although many people say that he will be unable to overturn the historic Roe v. Wade decision (which legalized abortions for women under the fourteenth amendment) in his time in office, I still see this as a changing tide; several laws could be put into place and over time, more and more women will find themselves in sticky situations because they are unable to access a safe abortion. As is, according to Our Bodies Our Selves, more than 1,000 laws have been passed to limit women’s access to abortions in the time since Roe v. Wade passed. The average cost of either a surgical abortion or an abortion pill is near $500 out of pocket if the woman’s insurance doesn’t include them – this leaves many women out in the cold with no option to turn to except perhaps an unsafe at-home abortion. Preventing women from getting abortions doesn’t end abortion; it simply prevents them from accessing safe, sterile abortions that will prevent them from having medical complications. 

Now is the time for women to stand and fight; we need to loudly proclaim that our bodies are only owned by ourselves, and not by anyone else. This is my body, and if I want or need an abortion, that is my choice and no one else’s. The saying that drives this movement – “My body, my choice” – is needed now more than ever. This is my body and no-one, not even the new administration, will take that away without a fight.