This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Hello to each and every one of you reading this article! My name is Jackie Sanchez, I am a 19 year old Latina and I am a sophomore English major at the University of La Verne. I enjoy expanding my horizons, being involved around campus, and getting to know new people. Aside from writing articles and running our Her Campus La Verne twitter account, I am apart of our University of La Verne dance team, where I am also the social media manager.

I recently was a Spotlight Leader for La Verne in the communications committee as well. Spotlight is an admissions event that our school holds for accepted students and transfer students, so they may see a weekend in the life of La Verne. Currently, I am going through the OWL (orientation week leader) process in preparation for our SOAR event in June/July for incoming freshmen and transfers, and orientation week during August, which I am very excited about!

Some things to know about me: I LOVE Disney! Any and all things Disney to be completely honest- the parks, the movies, the music, everything! Although dogs are my most favorite creatures in the entire world (we really don’t deserve them), elephants win as being my favorite animals.

My music tastes is very, very diverse; it honestly depends on my mood and it can change drastically. I can go from listening to Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Sublime, to listening to Amy Winehouse, Coldplay, Beyonce, or 90’s/00’s R&B, just for me to end up listening to Disney, Ed Sheeran, One Dirrection, songs in other languages (even if I don’t understand them), or musical theatre songs (I’m currently into the soundtracks for “In The Heights”, “Mamma Mia”, and “La La Land”)! I’m telling you, it’s weirdly diverse, but I wouldn’t have it any other way because I can vibe to anything and be content with it all. I love, love, love to dance, even if I may not be the best at it, I just believe dancing (along with food) has the power to bring people together- it’s beautiful.

Getting into new T.V. shows and movies to watch is another interest of mine, I find binge-watching pretty fun and exciting when I really get into that program, so if you ever have anything to recommend, I would love to hear it! I see myself as being extremely family and friend-orientated and I will go to any and all extremes to ensure I can crack a smile or laugh on my friends and family.

Career-wise, I am not completely set in stone with a particular career path. All I know is that I love to write, read, engage in discussions, and I have a passion for showing people that they have someone who truly cares about them; that they have a support system who believes in them- to motivate them. For these reasons, I have considered a position as a high school English teacher, which I do want to get to eventually in my life, but I currently do not see myself doing that immediately after college because I want to be able to experience more life in order to fully be there for my students and provide my best possible knowledge and life experiences for them.

I also have dreams to someday work within the magazine, entertainment, or publishing house settings, possibly dabbling in careers such as journalism, editorial, writing, publishing, or maybe even screen-writing for shows/movies- I just find them all so fascinating. Oh, and the opportunity to travel around the world would be amazing, but that may just remain a dream. Whatever career I do end up working in, I just hope to be uncontrollably happy, confident, and it would be amazing if I had such an impact to change somebody’s life for the better.

Thank you for taking the time to get to know me and my oxymoron of a life!

Xoxo,

Jackie

Jackie Sanchez

La Verne '20

I am a junior English major, Educational Studies minor at the University of La Verne. I'm a girl who loves to write about things she's passionate about. I have hope that someday this world will be just, equal, and filled with love. My dream is to have a great impact in the lives of those around me, but until then I'm trying to learn and be open to as much as possible. Oh, and I love Disney.