How America Should Respond to Trump’s Presidency

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

For some, it feels like the end of time. Many are still left shook and triggered by the fact that Donald Trump is our President for the next four years. His win led to riots, violence, and hypocrisy spewed in the streets, on school grounds, and online. Liberals and Conservatives clash with their ideologies, calling each hateful, discriminatory slurs. Anger and animosity consumes others, and instead of coming together to be unified, we are instead divided. But is all that hate and bigotry what we stand for? Is that how we want our nation to be ? We have been through worse.. We have seen worse.. but why should we allow one man to control and manipulate us in to hating one another? Democracy is built on the idea of unification even through our differences. It’s what makes being an American so great. There are so many opportunities for us to peacefully and intellectually agree or disagree with our government. It allows to help understand other’s values and beliefs, while also allowing us to challenge them or discuss why something is right or wrong. And if there’s a difference in opinion, we should allow ourselves to move on. But instead we call each other hateful words like racists, retards, or any other term just because someone didn’t vote for the same person we did.

Yeah, it sucks that we have one, if not the most underqualified and inexperienced people to ever take office. But I’m not going to waste my time hating on him and hoping for him to get impeached for the next four years. My values are better than that. And as individuals and eventually in unity, so should yours. I’m going to give him a chance. For better or worse, this man is going to lead our nation. As bigoted and misogyinistic as he may be, I’m going to give him a chance. Not because I condone any stupid thing he has said or done in the past, but because our nation is in hurt. And to hate on the man that will help lead it for the next four years, that hurt will only get worse. We will find ourselves on a path that will set us back to the old days of violence and discrimination, a path that shed innocent blood and created a dark print in American history. We can not, and will not allow that to happen. I hope that in these next four years, he does some good, that he somehow benefits our country. Not because I like him, but because it is his job to help us and guide us as best as he could. And if upon the chance he doesn’t satisfy or succeed in anything, then we the people have the power to make sure his ass doesn’t get elected again. 

All in all, it will be tough. But we the people, have to unify and love another. Creating hatred for our fellow man based on his political beliefs is not what we stand for. If you believe in the values of democracy, you help guide the misguided, but you can also learn to spread love and peace and acceptance to everyone around you. Hate never got anything done. But Unity and Strength always can. Stand tall, stand together, stand tough. 

I love reading, writing and especially watching films :) Movies and writing about them inspire to dream beyond reality :)
Here to report everyday news and make it interesting. Spicing up a twist on my daily sass to put some flavor in my articles. Enjoy your read. Arcadia High School Graduate University of La Verne Attendee   Check me out!  Instagram: gowiththeflo_ra See what I like to blog? floraawong.tumblr.com Personal questions? Email me: floraw1997@gmail.com