DJ Santana Spins Throwbacks Every Thursday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Name: DJ Santana

Major: Radio Broadcasting

Position for LeoFM: Music Director / On-Air Mixer

1)   What happens on the Throwback Thursday show for LeoFM?

For Throwback Thursday, I put together a theme that features a ton of Throwback songs like funk, disco, hip-hop, Boy Bands, and try to tie it in with the format of LeoFM. I go through each song and make a playlist to mix live on the air. Then every Thursday evening, I bring in my turntables to the on-air studio and mix live on the air! I take requests from the listeners who want to hear a certain throwback or want to give some shout outs. I take advantage of the webcam in the station by occasionally using DJ lights to fill the room or even invite people to have a party in the studio! It’s honestly a great atmosphere in the studio during the show.

2)   How long have you been a DJ for LeoFM?

I have been DJing as part of Throwback Thursday for about a year and a half now.  I’ve been DJing for parties and other events for about 9 years. It’s been awesome to be able to take what I know and put it on LeoFM to give our listeners something exciting and different for the station. I have been on the air for LeoFM for about 3 years now running a different show called “The Night Shift” that has been retired once Throwback Thursday came in. Throwback Thursday is the first mix show we have had on LeoFM and its been an amazing experience to see the kind of reaction we get each week. TBT has also been my first experience DJing on a radio station and it’s cool to take the atmosphere of a party and bring it to the station! Especially when we had our live TBT event last semester called “TBT Club ACB”.

3)   Who is your biggest inspiration for Throwback Thursday?

I would say my biggest inspiration for the show is my parents because growing up they introduced me to a lot of the songs I play on the air. Songs like “Cinderfella Dana Dane”, “Children’s Story” and “Show Me Love” have been songs I essentially grew up with when my Dad used to DJ. He and my mom had two different music tastes that my Dad would use to his advantage. He loved the hip hop side while she liked the techno/freestyle side. Doing the show now, I put together the best of both worlds for different themes and in sense pay homage to them and their time DJing. Some of my bigger shows like the Anniversary episode, Premiere episode, and others have bits and pieces of how my Dad used to mix just as a way to pay tribute to him.

4)   What is your favorite part about being live on the radio?

Telling really bad jokes that people remember. I can say, I tell probably the worst jokes possible that I think are funny, but I know no one else will! Another great part is being able to bring some of my favorite old school songs to the University of La Verne and be able to give some background so people understand exactly what these songs mean to me and how they impacted radio back in the day. I always tell the new on-air personalities on the station to make their show their own so that they can really sound excited on the air because they can talk about something they are passionate about. That’s what I did for TBT and there really isn’t a dull moment!

5)   How can people listen to Throwback Thursday?

People can listen to Throwback Thursday at laverne.edu/LeoFM from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. every Thursday night! We stream live and, like I said, I mix every Thursday night live in the studio! I take requests, that’s one of the best parts! They can also follow the TBT page on Facebook at facebook.com/TBTWithDJSantana for updates on the theme each week and more info on songs!

6)   Do you want to be a DJ as a career?

I would LOVE to be a DJ as a career. Right now I am working on being a DJ for a radio station outside of LeoFM so when I graduate I can be set. I feel as though I have learned the old school ways while keeping a new school mentality when it comes to mixing and I feel like that will keep it interesting if I get the chance to DJ a big name events. My dream would be to DJ at a club in Vegas like Hakkasan or Drais just because of how many people go there to just have a good time. Being a DJ you want to make sure the crowd has the best time possible and seeing people dancing all night to your songs or being excited to hear your mixes is probably one of the most rewarding experiences ever for me.

Catch DJ Santana throwing it back every Thursday night from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. on LeoFM!

Kellie Galentine is a journalism major at the University of La Verne in California. She is a campus correspondent for Her Campus at La Verne and is one of the founders of her campus' chapter. Kellie is also a member of Sigma Kappa Sorority.