CPA’s Guide to Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

It’s that time of year again when sisters pretend not to know each other and unsuspecting girls are being scoped-out by admiring future big sisters. For the ladies that hope to join a sorority this semester, here are some tips on the recruitment process – since no one really tells you what to expect. 

A vauable asset during the recruitment process are the Sigma Rho Chi’s, who make up the Executive Board of the College Panhellenic Association at La Verne. These ladies are always availabe to assit those that want to learn more about the recruitment process, and sorority life in general. 

In an exclusive question and answer session with Shelby Griffin, president of CPA, we’ve got your recruitment questions answered. Check out her advice for all things recruitment, from what to wear to how to pay, she has the answers you need. 

What should you wear when attending sorority recruitment events?

It depends on the day. Preference Day you should definitely dress up in something that you might wear to an interview, like a nice blouse, skirt, and heels. The other days are a little more laid back – think dressy casual. A nice pair of jeans paired with a cute top would be fine.

What should you avoid wearing to sorority recruitment events?

Avoid the ripped jeans, crop tops, or sloppy clothes! You want to be comfortable at recruitment, but still look your best. If you look your best, you’ll feel your best, and that’s what’s going to help you go into recruitment confidently.

Are there any discussion topics that should not be brought up at these events?

Your mom said it best – politics, religion, and controversial topics are a no-go. Don’t be afraid to go beyond the topic of sorority life so you can get to know the girls better, but leave the heavier topics for a different setting.

What advice would you give to a woman who is not sure if joining a sorority is right for her?

Most of the women who I talk to at recruitment events have a lot of questions about sororities, and it’s okay to have doubts or wonder if it’s right for you. Going through recruitment is your best way to get your feet wet when it comes to Greek Life. Leave your assumptions about sororities at the door, because we all know movies aren’t the best examples of real life. What starts off as something you’re not sure about could be the best thing that’s ever happened to you.

What are some of the benefits to joining a sorority?

Being in a sorority can help you find a footing at your university. Meeting people and developing strong relationships in college can be difficult, even at a small school like La Verne. Being a part of a sorority can give you the confidence to get to where you want to be in college, plus you gain a family of amazing women who you share the most incredible bond with. After all, you’re not just gaining friends – you’re gaining sisters.

What is the commitment like in terms of time and money? 

Joining a sorority is definitely a commitment in terms of time and money, but that shouldn’t turn anyone off from joining on. In terms of time you have chapter meetings once a week, which take up about an hour and a half or two hours of your time. That’s where you get updated on happenings within the sorority and take care of that week’s business. You might also have sisterhood events or socials with other organizations on campus during the week. Philanthropy events and fundraisers also allow your chapter to thrive and make a name for your organization both on and off campus.

Finances are a big concern for a lot of women. Yes, you do pay dues – but those dues allow for your chapter to continue to exist and grow. Finance chairs within each sorority also work with individual sisters who may have trouble paying their dues, and no one is ever made to feel like less of a sister because she might have trouble paying them.

Any last words of advice about being part of a sorority?

Have fun with the sorority, and embrace it! If you let it, sorority will become one of the most amazing experiences that you’ll have in college and will help you grow in ways you never thought possible. It’s a unique experience so if you have the opportunity to join, absolutely consider it.

For more information on greek life at ULV, visit http://sites.laverne.edu/student-life/greek-life/.