This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

On March 8th, social media showed a huge amount of support to celebrate International Women’s Day. The University of La Verne also paid homage to this day by posting empowering photos and quotes on Instagram and Twitter. It was beautiful and powerful to see women and men appreciating the women in their lives. Even though March 8th was influential and commanded a lot of attention, many are not aware that March is National Women’s History Month. Celebrating International Women’s Day and National Women’s History Month is important and essential to our society. Even though March 8th has passed there still more room and time to celebrate women and our essence.

1.      Plan a Women’s Retreat.

Sponsor a trip on campus with your girls and maybe other girls to take a trip somewhere. This can either be a road trip to Palm Springs, camping or even a sleepover at your house. Use this trip to find out more about each other. Learn everyone’s stories and backgrounds. Develop a bond that you never though you would have with other groups of women.

2.      Visit the Women’s Museum of California

2730 Historic Decatur Road, Suite 103San Diego, CA 92106Phone: (619) 233-7963

The WMC features a variety of changing exhibits and displays on women’s history, sponsors workshop and lecture series, develops and implements educational and cultural events, including art shows, live performances and presentations; maintains a library, archive & collections; and provides speakers for the community through its Speakers’ Bureau. The museum is closed on Monday and Tuesday, and admission is $5.

3.      Celebrate the women in your family

Treat your mother, sister, grandmother, cousin, or auntie for a women’s brunch. Buy them either flowers or write them a card that expresses how much the first women in your life mean to you.  Enjoy you guy’s company and your common ground on being a women society. Discuss your life and catch up to see how everyone is doing.

4.      Partner with a local women’s group

Partner with women’s groups who empower each other and take part in projects that supports women. Like join your local I AM THAT GIRL program. This is a group that helps girls to transform self-doubt in to self-love by providing a safe space to connect and have honest conversations about things that matter.

5.      Become a mentor

There are a lot of programs and even clubs on campus that mentors young girls in the community. On Thursdays from 3:30-5:00pm, La Verne’s Shades of Essence visits Pomona High School to mentor high school females who are interested in farthing their education, but their surroundings put them at risk. Also you can go to your local Boys and Girls Club, Girl Scouts or other school and try their mentorship programs.

6.      Donate or Support a cause for Women’s Rights

Not only do women need your appreciation, they need your help. There are many injustices, crimes and violence against women and they need your help to make difference. Either do a walk for change or donate to a program that helps women or that addresses important gender issues on a daily basis. 

Autumn Simon is a journalism major at the University of La Verne in California. She is an aspiring publicist. She is a movie junkie and is interested in all things Disney. While she isn't in class she is multicultural chair on the Campus Activity Board, publicist of Shades of Essence, a part time Cast Member at Disneyland, a writer for La Vouge and a writer for the campus' magazine and newspaper.