hawaii jeep surf board beach
hawaii jeep surf board beach
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Career

Why My Next Car Purchase’ll Be Different

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

Like most college kids, I have a car.  I bought my car several years ago and it seemed like the perfect car.  It had low miles, had current safety features, and – because I bought used – it was cheap.   In the years that I have owned my car I have gotten good use from it.

Growing up, my family only ever bought used cars.  Even though we moved every couple of years and had to get a new one, these cars always served us well; but, I never got to experience first-hand racking up high mileage on one car.  

My car has done great over the years- it has taken me from Louisiana to the West Coast and back several times.  However, after routine maintenance, there have been issues that would normally be under warranty. From a bad battery, broken A/C system, to a busted radio, this became a general inconvenience.  However, it has left me and other people stranded if my car overheats on the highway and refuses to move. This is why my next car purchase will be different.

When I was first looking for my current vehicle, I did go to various dealerships and professional car salespeople.  However, after seeing the high prices I steered away and started looking on Craigslist, Facebook, and various classifieds.  I searched for months until I found one that I judged to be the best fit for me. However, looking back, I can do the math to determine that the amount I saved when buying was pretty much negligible against the cost of all of the repairs.

Once I am no longer able to drive my current car, my next car will be purchased from a professional.  I don’t know if this will mean a dealer or if I will use another option. For example, most rental agencies will sell their cars for a discount once they get to a certain point and will include some benefits like a dealership.  Once I am at this stage, though, I will be under different circumstances. I will be out from college, and hopefully have a much more consistent paycheck.

Having this I will feel much more comfortable with putting more money into an upfront purchase.  I think that this is worth it for the peace of mind. It is a small price to pay for sanity.

Bernard Kelleher

Louisiana Tech '19

Hello, My name is Bernard Kelleher. I prefer to go by Bern though. I am a senior in Nanosystems Engineering at LA Tech. I heard about Her Campus from a family member and I really liked the idea and want to be a part of it. I don't have much writing experience. I really have only written what was required of me in my school courses. I do like to read though, and look forward to possibly getting better at writing. In my free time there are several things I like to do. I spend most of my time with my fiance. Together, we play games and travel. We have a Siamese cat, Alice, who I like to play with. Thank you!
Alicia Centers

Louisiana Tech '20

I am a junior Cyber Engineering major who just enjoys hanging out with awesome gals outside of school!