This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

In the last two weeks I made a drastic change that shocked a lot of people that I’ve met in the past year. I cut off my hair. I’m not talking bob length, I’m talking pixie. Since I cut it, I’ve been getting so many questions, but the top of the list is why? I can’t tell you how often I hear it. Some people are genuinely curious, but others are obviously judging me. From behind the simplest of questions I can see the true meanings: “Why would you defy a trademark symbol of femininity?”, “Why would you think this looks good?”, “Why would you do something I wouldn’t?”, the list goes on and on. So, let me address these questions head on.

I cut my hair because my looks don’t define who I am. The fact that so many people have an opinion on it frankly shocks me. I rocked a pixie for 2-3 years before my wedding, which was the only reason I grew it out anyway. This haircut makes me feel more confident, more beautiful, and more “me”. So really, this cut gives me a more secure sense of self in part because there is less to hide behind.

I frequently cut, color, and restyle my hair because I get bored with my look and want to change it up. This is no different! I like my hair to match my mood. Right now I’m feeling short, pink hair. I might change it again in two months or so, but for right now it’s staying. For a solid year I didn’t touch my hair so that it would be natural for my wedding, and a little bit longer to fit the look I wanted to achieve. It drove me crazy to not be able to touch it though, and I felt a huge sense of relief when I cut it off!

I am not trying to make a statement. But if I was, so what? I get so many comments about how short hair is less feminine, makes me look “butch”, etc., but I genuinely don’t care what anyone thinks about it. It’s kind of fun to walk the line between feminine and masculine, and the comments don’t really bother me. What does is that people think they’re okay to say. To someone else that comment could be devastating, so think before you speak.

Probably my least favorite thing to hear is, “Well, it looks good on you, but most people couldn’t pull it off!” What a backhanded compliment, am I right? “You don’t look ugly, but your hairstyle is fundamentally ugly.” For 2019, can us ladies make a pact to support each other instead of making underhanded digs at something we don’t understand? Just leave it at “It looks good!” I think that everyone should have the freedom of self expression free from hate. If you want to have butt-length hair, go for it! If you want to shave your head, do it! Live your best life and just be confident in yourself because girl, you can get it!

Allie Gremillion

Louisiana Tech '19

I am a senior at Louisiana Tech University and am so excited to be involved in Her Campus!
Alicia Centers

Louisiana Tech '20

I am a junior Cyber Engineering major who just enjoys hanging out with awesome gals outside of school!