Lindsay Thompson-Neon Sign Where You Need To Be Miami Bar Inspiration
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus

Five Quotes That I Live By

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

These five quotes are just a few of the ideas I choose to remember throughout my day to day activities, struggles, and ultimately when I realize that I need a little outside advice. Remembering quotes like these put certain areas in my life in perspective. If you strive to live by these quotes, I guarantee you’ll be able to feel the difference that I’ve begun to feel. 

1. “Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.” by Coco Chanel.

Struggling with the idea with loving yourself is something that everyone deals with. Whether it’s the way you look, your relationships with those around you, or understanding your worth, it’s a back and forth battle to feel truly beautiful. This quote is a constant reminder to be your true self and not to pretend to be someone you’re not just to fit in. Comparison is a massive issue in our society.  It has painted a broken picture of the “perfect person” that causes everyone striving to be something society has constructed. Instead, when you’re looking in the mirror or trying to pick out the perfect outfit, remember to be yourself. Your unique personality and differences are what make you beautiful.  

1. “If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.” by Dolly Parton.

You never know what is happening in someone else’s life. Everyone around you is pushing through their own obstacles and battling their beasts. From the person that sits next to you in class to the stranger checking out your groceries, you could never know what is going on behind the scenes. What you think you know about them is only a small percentage in the whole picture of who they are and their experiences.  If you notice someone that doesn’t have a smile, show them yours. Sometimes all they need is a little light to get them through the day. You never know how impactful your effect is on someone, but the chances are a smile, no matter how big or small, will be a positive one. Don’t forget that your smile could keep someone from giving up, and that’s a powerful tool.

1. “Look closely at the present you are constructing. It should look like the future you are dreaming.” by Alice Walker.

Close your eyes and imagine where you’ll be after you graduate college. The life you’re thinking of right now should be a reflection of the life you’re living right now.  This quote is a reminder to be aware of the present and how it is going to eventually evolve to be your future. You never know what may happen so live today as if you’re one step away from the ideal future you imagine for yourself.  I love this quote because it encompases the idea that you don’t have to wait in order to gain the future that you dream of. What you’re constructing now will inevitably affect everyday after so make it mean something. 

1. “Stop waiting for friday, for summer, for someone to fall in love with you, for life. Happiness is achieved when you stop waiting for it and make the most of the moment you are in now.” by unknown.

This quote goes hand in hand with the one before it. You don’t have to wait. When you wake up in the morning, you are given the strength to make that day the best one you’ve ever had.  You have the ability to make the most of every moment. I think a lot of us, including myself, can find ourselves dreading getting up in the morning, going to class everyday, or the never ending Monday. This week, try to see even the dreaded aspects of your day to day activities as a blessing and an opportunity.  When I read this quote, I’m reminded of the significance of every moment and second of our lives. So stop waiting, and live your dream, be happy, and truly appreciate the memories you’re making right now. 

1. “Breath darling. This is just a chapter, not your whole story.” by S.C. Lourie.

As much as every day is a significant part of your life, you also must remember there is a much bigger picture.  Sometimes you have to go through trials to be able to get where you’re supposed to be. Importance doesn’t mean easy.  Life can throw some difficult obstacles your way. When you’re going through these times, keep in mind the long haul is worth the hills and valleys. Everyone’s story has downfalls and bumps, but that doesn’t mean the entire story isn’t good. The stories with the most obstacles often have the highest reward and best ending. Don’t forget hardships will pass, and you can beat anything that comes your way. 

These quotes help me in times of blessings and struggle. I hope that they can remind you what’s important and encourage you to be the best you that you can be.

As a little girl, I spent hours writing stories. Obviously they weren't exactly bestsellers, but it was my passion nevertheless. I would fill up my notebooks with everything I didn't know how to say out loud, and anything I could imagine. Now, as a college student, I'm chasing my dream one word at a time. I'm currently studying English and Marketing, with the intention of becoming an editor.
Kristen Bastin

Louisiana Tech '20

Technical Writing and Creative Writing student at Louisiana Tech.