Wellness

5 Ways That I ‘Kick the Sick’ During Flu Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

Unfortunately, I was not spared of sickness this season. Mother Nature was not on my side, so I discovered some prime ways to at least tolerate being sick temporarily. Here are some ways that I made being sick this past week less stressful.

1. Essential Oils 

In most cases when I first get sick, I tried to at first incorporate healing in natural ways. I own a diffuser and some oils to treat different moods or needs. When I was last sick, I kept my diffuser by my bed and let peppermint, tea tree oil, and lemon steam around me. I honestly think this boosts my mood and helps me heal more smoothly.

2. Hydrate / Herbal Teas

Water is vital in and out of sickness, but I especially make sure I am nourishing my system with hydration when my immunity is out of balance. I drink water at all times when I’m sick and incorporate teas to also help boost my immunity. You can get specific teas such as lemon and ginger for digestion or throat coat tea for a sore throat. If tea isn’t accessible, I recommend drinking lots of water!

3. Chicken Noodle Soup and/or Comfort Food

For me, soup heals the soul when I’m sick. It’s low maintenance and just what I need when curled up in bed for days. This paired with a grilled cheese is borderline gourmet in my opinion. Then, if we’re feeling crazy, we might just want some ice cream. Ben & Jerry’s? Halo Top? Yes please!

4. Netflix

Another tool for the healing process that is just as low maintenance is Netflix. When I was last sick, I didn’t have any energy to go anywhere or talk to anyone, so I turned to Netflix. With being curled up all day, many episodes of Gilmore Girls, The Office, Friends, etc. can be equally as healing as chicken noodle soup and a grilled cheese.

5. Heated blankets

A personal favorite of mine would have to be my heated blanket. When I’m sick, I immediately plug the blanket in, set my preferred heat setting, and transcend into maximum comfort. I love this paired with my favorite candle. I think healing the soul is equally as important as healing the body when sick.

Here are five things that I personally am intentional with to get through a sick season. I hope you found these helpful, but the best tip is to not get sick this season if you can help it! Stay healthy out there!

Lexi Epling

Louisiana Tech '21

An ambitious 20 year old in pursuit of becoming the best version of myself. Obsessed with travel, music, cappuccinos, and podcasts.
Kristen Bastin

Louisiana Tech '20

Technical Writing and Creative Writing student at Louisiana Tech.