absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Things to Do Around Philly!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Salle chapter.

Reading Terminal Market

Every person, tourist or local loves to hit up Reading Terminal Market. Located in Chinatown next to the convention center, Reading Terminal Market offers dozens of food options and even a grocery section with local produce. Enjoy some gluten-free funnel cake, a Mac and cheeseburger, or some homemade Italian food. Food ranges in price but you can get a good size meal for anywhere from $10-$15.

Dim Sum Garden 

Rated 4.4 stars on Google and located in Chinatown, Dim Sum Garden is known for, you guessed it, their Dim Sum. For those of you who haven’t been acquainted with Dim Sum, this must be your next stop in Philly. Dim Sum is another term for dumplings, and who doesn’t love dumplings! Although this place costs some money, a set of six dumplings goes for around $9 depending on the type of meat. A must visit place if you’re in the area!

Rittenhouse Square

One of the most beautiful places in the city, (yes, I’m biased) Rittenhouse Square shows off the more luxurious side of Philadelphia. Located blocks from City Hall and right next to Walnut Street, Rittenhouse Square is a refreshing park where dog walkers, couples, tourists and locals come to relax. While the park is free, it is located right next to a strip of stores such as Urban Outfitters, Free People, Steve Madden, Coach, and other extremely tempting stores. Come relax, bring your friends and leave your credit card at home.

The Love Sculpture

Located in the unofficially named Love Park, the Love Sculpture is an iconic art installation. Usually, the background for many people’s social media the sculpture is a pop art image by the American artist Robert Indiana. The sculpture is also located in other cities, such as New York and D.C, but if you’re in the Philly area you should stop by and grab a picture with the iconic funky letters. 

Boathouse Row 

A must-see at night, the boathouses along the Schuylkill River are lined with ever-changing lights. Each of the universities in the area has a boathouse where their crew team comes to practice. After admiring the lights take a stroll around Fairmount Park! The entire trail is over thirty miles long, but the area around the boathouses has many nice places for a picnic and is less than half a mile from the art museum!

The Philadelphia Art Museum

If you’ve ever driven on the Schuylkill you’ve seen the ginormous marble building with imposing pillars sitting on the water close to the boathouses. Made completely out of marble the museum houses thousands of incredible pieces of artwork. Whether you’re a local or tourist it’s a must-see if you’re able to. Even better, the museum allows you to pay whatever amount you’d like on the first Sunday of the month from 10:00 am- 5:00 pm and every Wednesday between 5:00 pm and 8:45 pm. So, take the train and enjoy some art culture completely free of charge!

Rocky Steps

After enjoying the artwork and culture inside, venture to the front steps and enjoy one of the most popular attractions in Philly. Most people are familiar with the classic movie, Rocky and know that the fictional boxer lived in Philadelphia. The iconic scene of Rocky training up the Philadelphia Museum of Art steps inspired a statue of Rocky to be built at the base of the steps. Come see if you can train like Rocky and get a picture with the ten-foot-tall bronze statue!

Anna Bailey

La Salle '21

Currently a junior majoring in Criminal Justice and Psychology with minor in spanish. I'm also on the pre-law track and I plan to continue onto law school! I love anything about fashion, decor or animals.
Jessica is a student athlete Communication Major at La Salle University, with concentrations in Public Relations and Communication Management. Along with being a member of the track team, she contributes as an intern and author for Double G Sports, and is a campus correspondent for Her Campus. In her career future, she hopes to work with a Public Relations team for and established sports figure or another well known organization.