This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Sage is an herb that has been used throughout the ages for its widely known and shared healing properties of the physical and mental parts of the human body. Humans first started using sage in ancient Egyptian times for its effects on the menstruation cycle and fertility. People have also used sage as a spiritual tool to elevate one’s intuition and state of mind by drinking it in tea form and burning it in shared spaces or homes that are open to possible negative energy interferences. 

A very common practice that is widely known is referred to as “smudging.” Smudging is an act in which someone lights a bundle of dried sage and allows the smoke to purify the air and objects around them. Burning sage has been proven to keep insects at bay, as well as having antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. Thus, smudging is a good remedy to practice in your home, especially during flu season. People also use smudging as a spiritual tool. Some 

people believe it can cleanse any lingering negativity around your space. Choosing to burn sage in your home can create a perfect place for self reflection and meditation. 

From personal experience, burning sage, specifically white sage, while you’re in an anxious mood or having trouble sleeping can be extremely helpful! I usually smudge my home when I notice I have been a little extra stressed and my insomnia starts settling in, and it does just the trick for a good night’s sleep. Just like incense, though, the smell is something to get used to. It has an earthy undertone with a pinch of incense-like aroma. After your first smudging, the smell will hopefully soon be a trigger of calmness and joy. If you’re like me and you tend to stray from harsh man-made chemicals, I suggest purchasing a bundle of dried white sage and trying this out for yourself! 

Professional Writing Major and Social Media Minor at Kutztown University. I love reading, photography, and all things cats.