Why I Can’t Stop Thinking About Netflix’s Money Heist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

I’m usually not the type of person who becomes obsessed with shows and characters, but I have been enthralled with Money Heist, known as La Casa de Papel originally. I love watching the characters and their unique, chaotic personalities as they perform a groundbreaking heist. 

If you haven’t watched the show, Money Heist is about a group of thieves that stage an elaborately detailed heist at the Royal Mint of Spain in hopes of making history and resisting the Spanish government. The Professor, the leader of the heist, has put together an unbeatable group of robbers (who call each other by the names of cities). As the heist goes on, the gang must remain clear and calm to outsmart law enforcement. 

The remainder of this article contains spoilers from Money Heist. 

The Professor’s plan to rob the Royal Mint is near perfect. He has thought of a solution for every problem imaginable, from finding the best time to plant a microphone on a police officer, to rescuing a robber from the authorities. As the heist goes on, the police conclude that the Professor has been planning the robbery for years because of how prepared the gang is. The thieves bring in loads of military weaponry and equipment to support their plan and use it as a threat and defense if necessary. The weapons may paint the thieves as killers, but the Professor’s first rule is to never injure anyone unless they are a threat to one of the members of the gang. He only wants to rob the Royal Mint, not cause harm to anyone. 

I loved Nairobi, the gang member in charge of printing the money in the first heist, then diving for gold in the second. She had the most empathetic backstory and personality. It’s hard to watch the heist continue without her while the other characters grieve her death. She was the soul of the gang; she was encouraging, uplifting, and inspiring to her friends. Nairobi didn’t deserve to be tortured or executed by the enemy. 

The plot of Money Heist is intricate, exciting, and beautiful. Viewers are shown how complex a fight against law enforcement has to be to have a successful heist. Each character plays an important role in the plan and because of their tenacity they pulled off robbing the Royal Mint. I would highly recommend Money Heist to anyone.

Sydney Weiland

Kutztown '21

Currently, I'm a senior at Kutztown University majoring in English with minors in professional writing, social media theory & strategy, and music and a writing intern with HerCampus. Outside of classes, I love to play my oboe, go thrifting, and cook.
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur