This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

What is Art? It is a question that everyone has a different answer too. The word art is a broad and large definition. 

Art is a word that means a lot to me. Art is a special talent for someone to express themselves whether it be visual art, performing art, graphic arts, and or literacy arts. I am an artist and I use the term art a lot.

My art is visual art. Art has given me a chance to express myself and has made me heal from what I have gone through in the past. I am a Studio Art major with a concentration in drawing. In addition, I am also a mixed media artist meaning I use more than one art medium in my works.

A mixed-media painting made by a member
Sammie Merrill

My recent piece is a mixed media collage. It is called “Emotional Abuse”. It has painting elements, cut out shapes, and layers to it that help tell a story. The piece is a collage because the pieces are cut up and glued onto paper to build the piece. It is also an extremely personal piece because it talks about a tough time I have gone through. 

Visual art has become therapeutic for me. It gives me a chance to work with colors to express how I am feeling. For example if I am feeling sad I tend to use a dark blue and if I am happy I use brighter colors like orange and yellow. Nevertheless, if I am having a rough day and I am stressing, making an art piece helps me release so much emotion that is going on underneath the surface. Even having a sketchbook and just color can come handy on a day to day basis. 

So let me ask this question. What is Art to you? What is your definition of art? I would love to hear your responses to those questions. 

I am an artist who uses art to express myself. My life quote is “stay positive”. My goal is to make a positive influence in people’s lives.