This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

It’s fall, my absolute favorite season. I love adding the newest oversized sweater to my American Eagle cart, pulling out my fuzzy blankets, watching the leaves change while feeling the cold, brisk air on my skin. 

However, I can’t forget my friend, seasonal depression. He’s not exactly my favorite, quite toxic actually. Making me want to stay curled up in bed all day, sleep on and off, eat comfort food constantly. And the constant fight he has with my anxiety. I’ll be sitting at my desk, trying to type out a paper when he demands that I go lay in my bed. Anxiety tells him, “No, she needs to finish this paper to get a good grade and to graduate!” Thanks, anxiety, always keeping me in check. But maybe he’s right? The bed looks so comfortable, a quick nap break wouldn’t hurt anyone. 

I remind myself that seasonal depression will arrive at any point once the days start getting shorter. I’ll feel less motivated to do work, more tired, and not wanting to get up in the morning. It happens every year and he welcomes me with warm arms. It’s funny, as much as I love fall and how it makes me feel good, I shouldn’t be experiencing this. It’s very conflicting for my mental health. I already struggle enough with my anxiety and depression, and now another form of it on top? It’s not fun, and I’m sure most people realize that. 

Does seasonal depression bother you too? Take a walk when you feel the need to crawl into bed. Take in the changing colors of the leaves. Feel the air on your skin and realize how good it feels (if you enjoy cold air as much as I do). Yeah, seasonal depression may be lingering close by, but I’m sure he’ll understand if you push him away for a bit so you can enjoy your day.

Allison Matero

Kutztown '21

Just a girl who is passionate about self-growth.
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur