This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Warning for spoilers ahead. 

WandaVision is one of many TV shows from the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) that are streaming on Disney’s new platform, and I was reluctant to buy it at first. I wanted to be able to watch all the content they had, but I wasn’t sure I could afford yet another streaming service. Still, I caved. 

If I had to rank the shows that were branching off from the MCU in order of anticipation, WandaVision would’ve been pretty low on the list. Watching the Marvel movies, I wasn’t a fan of Vision’s character and Wanda didn’t get a lot of story that wasn’t connected to more relevant characters, so I didn’t think a show about the two of them could be all that interesting. I knew I had to watch it though to be able to keep up with what would be incorporated into the movies later on, and I’m so glad I did. 

Elizabeth Olsen’s acting is spectacular in the show where Scarlet Witch creates her own reality in which Vision is alive and the two are married with children. They live in the typical suburban household in the town Westview, and their adventures are aired as an old timey sitcom. No one seems to be aware of this at first, but something is awry in their perfect paradise. 

You can’t help but feel sympathy for Wanda, who’s lost almost everyone she loves and just wants to be able to live out her life in a fantasy world. I mean, don’t we all? But it’s revealed that the people she has living in Westview are from the real world, and she’s keeping them all there through mind control. They have families and loved ones who are looking for them, so S.W.O.R.D. (Sentient World Observation and Response Department) is trying to track them down. 

However, in light of recent events on the show, viewers are left to wonder how much of Westview Wanda is actually controlling and how much is being controlled by an outside source. I think the way they’re presenting this conflict with little pieces being revealed in each episode is the perfect way to keep the story moving but still leave the audience wanting more. 

This show has made me fall completely in love with Wanda. I’ve always appreciated her power, especially after Avengers: Endgame where she was finally in the debate of who’s the strongest avenger. Vision still puts me to sleep sometimes, but the two are great together in this setting. I’m also loving the side characters from other MCU movies that they’ve brought in, like Darcy Lewis from Thor and Jimmy Woo from Ant-Man. Everything’s starting to come together. I’m not sure if there will be a second season or if Marvel is sticking with their original plan of one season, but I’ll take as much as I can get. 

WandaVision comes out with new episodes every Friday on Disney Plus.

Jessica Garrison is a professional writing major and women's, gender, and sexuality studies minor at Kutztown University.
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur