This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Valentine’s Day has always been a strange holiday. We still have to attend work and school, and even when we’re there, we try our best not to acknowledge what day it is. My dad always says that if he has to go into work, then it isn’t a holiday; I think it’s safe to say a lot of others feel that way as well. 

There seems to be this idea that Valentine’s Day is only for straight couples to celebrate their affection for one another out in public. I’d argue, though, that with the amount of PDA I witness on a daily basis, this feels no different than any other day of the year, so what’s the point? It sounds like a useless holiday that was created for capitalistic purposes. However, I’ve tried to put a positive spin on things since it won’t be changing any time soon, and I’ve gotten tired of moping every year.

I’ve never had a romantic partner on Valentine’s Day, but I still try to celebrate in my own way. It’s a time for self-love. It’s a time for conveying the love you feel for your friends and family. A few things I’ve done is go out for a special lunch with my family, hit up the movie theater with my friends during the Fifty Shades of Grey release weekend, and order myself takeout and watch a movie on Netflix. 

You shouldn’t need a holiday as a reason to do these things, but it’s a nice reminder that we are lucky in our lives. Some are luckier than others, but there’s nothing like showing love to yourself. Buy yourself that video game you’ve been wanting, take yourself out to dinner, go to a movie, get your nails done. Give yourself permission to do what you’ve wanted to do. Treat yourself. 

Valentine’s Day falls on a Friday this year, so my plan is to take a nap after my classes are over, make some popcorn, do a face mask, and binge watch Star Trek the rest of the night. It may sound like nothing, but it’s a relaxation day that I desperately need. Love comes in various forms, and this may be the push you need to express it how you see fit. 

But I will say that even though this still can be a great celebration, nothing will top elementary school. I always loved making my own Valentine’s Day bag for everyone to drop cards into and spending the rest of the day opening them up. Who do I need to talk to to bring this back? 

Jessica Garrison is a professional writing major and women's, gender, and sexuality studies minor at Kutztown University.
Jenna Boyer

Kutztown '20

Writer, Advocate, Tattoo Enthusiast, Occasional Actor, Full-Time Nerd.