The Truth Is Still Out There

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Last semester, I wrote a short article about the newest The X-Files revival. In that article, I was still anticipating its release. I was fueling all of my discussion around the trailers and teasers that had been out at the time. Now, about two months later, I am recovering from the newest episode (“Ghouli”) that premiered on Wednesday, January 31.

I want to preface my following opinion by saying that no revival, new season, or recent content will ever top the classic The X-Files that hit its peak of popularity in the mid to late 90s. With that being said, season 11 is exceeding my expectations so far.

Already, season 11 has proven to be stronger than season 10 ever was. I think this is partly due to the fact that David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson have had a little more time to come back into the characters they half-walked away from all those years ago. They appear more natural in their roles. Their chemistry and the resulting humor feels more like the classics such as “Small Potatoes” (season 4, episode 20), “Bad Blood” (season 5, episode 12) or “Arcadia” (season 6, episode 15).

Even so, I agree with the decision to officially end The X-Files after this season. As amazing as it’s been to witness the story of Mulder and Scully come to life yet again (especially as a young fan who has never had the chance to watch The X-Files live before), it’s time for Duchovny and Anderson to be able to hang their badges up while the memories are still fond, and the love is still fresh.

So far, season 11 is sending the well-loved show out with plenty of integrity. Mulder and Scully’s connecting link finally makes an appearance. William’s reintroduction, a powerful moment in the grand scheme of the show, feels like a gentle reminder that the seemingly immortal The X-Files will once again be searching for the truth where we cannot follow.

(Miles Robbins as William Scully)

writer & editor | Pennsylvania native | coffee & fictional characters | fiercely intersectional feminist