This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

It’s about that time in the semester. You know exactly what I’m talking about; the point where motivation is slowly decreasing and everyone is ready to throw the towel in. Although this happens every semester, it is especially worse during the era of Zoom and social distancing. Almost everyone can relate to a lack of motivation and wanting to quit, including me. Here is a list of what I like to do to try to lift my spirits during that point in the semester.

Stop Procrastinating!

I know this is a lot easier said than done, and I am 110% guilty of procrastinating. When you don’t even have the motivation to do the work, you will most likely procrastinate doing it. I know it’s tempting, but we should all strive to avoid procrastinating because it will ultimately stress us out even more. If we wait to do an assignment an hour before it’s due, we will panic and stress ourselves out, possibly resulting in poor work. Try to muster the energy to do the assignment  the day before or the morning of, if you really can’t be bothered to do it at the beginning of the week. This will help you feel less stressed out and alleviate some of that lack of motivation.

Create a Schedule

Creating a schedule is an easy way to help you stay on task and motivated. If you have specific times dedicated to work as well as downtime, you will be more inclined to actually get work done. Without a schedule, you may feel a little too comfortable laying in bed and scrolling on TikTok. Even just carving out two hours a day for work can really help you get stuff done.

Remember to Take Breaks

Whether it’s something as simple as doing laundry or hanging out with friends, it is important to give yourself breaks. Most of us experience being unmotivated because we’re burned out! Staring at a computer screen all day isn’t exactly the college experience we all dreamed of. Taking time out of your day to do something you enjoy will really help you de-stress!  

Sarah Mengel

Kutztown '23

Senior English major with a minor coffee addiction :)
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur