This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

If you’re a fan of reading books, especially books within the fantasy genre, then you’ve probably heard of the name Sarah J. Maas in passing. Sarah J. Maas is a young adult fantasy novel writer and is probably one of my favorite authors to this day. She’s most known for her Throne of Glass series and another newer series called A Court of Thorns and Roses, which is currently in the process of being turned into a Hulu series! But, today we’re here for the Throne of Glass series. 

Like I’ve said before, I am a huge fan of reading, as we know. And it’s no secret that I’m a huge fan of fantasy, romance, gore, and action, which is exactly what this series offers me and other readers who are involved with these novels. Though the actual genre of the book is ‘fantasy fiction’, it does offer a good amount of romantic relationships and other gory killings throughout the series. 

Throne of Glass is a series of fantasy novels that tell the story of Celeana Sardothian, a young woman who’s literally been through hell and back. In addition to her story of slavery in what basically is a mining concentration camp run by a tyrannical king ruler of Adarlan, we also follow along in her journey of becoming the King’s Champion, which is essentially the king’s personal assassin. In her long journey of losing her parents as a young girl, becoming a trained assassin by one of the most crooked men in the land, she finds friendship and close company with the king’s son, Dorian, and the king’s Captain of the Guard, Chaol. In addition to learning more about herself in the journey of becoming the king’s champion, she also acquires lost information about her own kingdom of Terrassen and the surrounding lands of Adarlan that are oppressed by the king. 

I am completely in love with this series because of the way Maas creates this world of magic and mystery around Celaena and her friends. The secrets kept by the King of Adarlan and his warriors in the surrounding lands are big enough to create this series of books that continue well past five novels and I’m stuck smack dab in the middle of them (and loving every second of it).

Professional Writing Major and Social Media Minor at Kutztown University. I love reading, photography, and all things cats.
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur