The Zodiac Killer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

As many people are aware, rumors of the infamous Zodiac Killer’s identification have been circulating throughout the Internet for the last few days. Naturally, the media went nuts over this 50 year old cold case. Serial killer enthusiasts have been desperate to find answers to this confusing and complicated case for decades. For those of you who don’t remember or aren’t aware of the story, here’s a brief recap: 

In the late 1960’s, a serial killer known as the Zodiac Killer terrorized the citizens of Northern California. Although the killer only has 5 confirmed kills, he claimed to have around 37 kills total. The killer’s iconic cryptic messages were the reason for so much uproar. He would write messages into local newspapers threatening killing sprees, bombings, and more if the messages were not published in the paper. Although there have been many theories of the Zodiac Killer’s identity, there has only been one publicly named suspect by law enforcement, a man named Arthur Leigh Allen. This has been the story of the Zodiac Killer for decades until this week. 

This past week, there has been chaos on social media about the identification of the Zodiac Killer. He is claimed to be a man named Gary Francis Poste, who died in 2018. Everyone went insane when this news was released, including myself. The claim was declared by a popular group of retired law enforcement officers called the “Case Breakers.” After 50 years, we can finally rest,knowing Poste was responsible for evoking so much terror in the citizens of Northern California and allow the families of his victims to finally have closure. That is what we thought anyway, until the FBI came in.

According to the FBI, the rumors of the Zodiac Killer’s identification are false. They say that the case is still open and there aren’t any new advances. Although the alleged identification may be false, I am certain that clarity with the Zodiac Killer case will come in the near future. With technology such as genetic genealogy advancing at such a rapid rate, this case, as well as many other decades old unsolved cases,hopefully theywill be solved in the near future. 

Sources:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/fbi-shuts-down-claims-zodiac-221400905.html
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zodiac_Killer

Sarah Mengel

Kutztown '23

Senior English major with a minor coffee addiction :)