This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Last week, I talked about the top TV shows that were canceled after only one season. Devastation over a show’s wasted potential can be exasperated over time. Two seasons is the perfect length of time for an audience to get attached to a show’s characters, establishing a rapport with the audience before ramping up the action. Unfortunately for the following shows, the second season was their last, leaving many wondering what could have been:

1. Dollhouse (2009-2010)

One of Joss Whedon’s many short-lived projects, Dollhouse had an intriguing premise that I haven’t seen replicated since. Its premiere helped Fox reach a variety of demographics, doubling audience levels among women, ranking the network in second in the 18-34 demographic, and achieving first in the male demographic on premiere night. The show got off on a shaky start according to critics, with many finding it difficult to connect with the characters. While they agreed that the show became much better over time, it was too late for mass audiences, dropping from 4 million viewers to 2 from the first to the second season. It’s such a shame when a series is canceled just as it’s getting into its stride. With its cancellation on Fox, Dollhouse joined Whedon’s collection of short-lived cult classics, Firefly and Tru Calling, all perfect examples of great ideas that just couldn’t quite get off the ground.

Dollhouse takes place in a world where people can serve as Actives (aka Dolls), individuals that can be reprogrammed with different personalities and abilities depending on their various assignments. The series centers around one of these Dolls, Echo, played by Eliza Dushku (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Bring It On). Echo, unlike the other Dolls, retains some of her memories despite having them wiped after each assignment, leading her to question her identity and humanity. I love Dushku’s work, and the premise of the show is super intriguing. It raises the question of how much our experiences define us, how much our actions are dictated by others, and how a lack of individuality and autonomy can be dehumanizing. 

1. The Gifted (2017-2019)

One of the more promising superhero television shows, it was a shame to see The Gifted get pulled off of Fox shortly after the season 2 finale. Between DC’s large collection of shows on the CW (Supergirl, Arrow, The Flash) and Marvel’s other hit series (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Jessica Jones, Runaways), there was just too much variety for the series to gain and maintain a large enough viewership. 

Centering around the Strucker family, The Gifted introduced audiences to the world of the mutant underground. Twins Lauren and Andy, portrayed by Natalie Alyn Lind (The Goldbergs, Tell Me a Story) and Percy Hynes White respectively, are revealed to be descended from a pair of extremely powerful mutant terrorists. Conflict between the mutant underground and violent group the Inner Circle leads each twin to pick separate sides as the threat of an all-out war looms overhead. Though the plot lagged in spots, the cast really held the show together. Stellar performances from Emma Dumont (Bunheads, T@gged), Skyler Samuels (Scream Queens, American Horror Story: Freak Show), Jamie Chung (Big Hero 6, Once Upon a Time), and Sean Teale (Reign, Skins UK) kept me coming back for more. The plot lines were compelling and showed the consequences that come with having to fight against family. The series’ ending feels incomplete, leaving fans without any real closure and wondering what would have happened had the show been given at least one more season to properly wrap things up.

1. Joan of Arcadia (2003-2005)

While Joan of Arcadia received plenty of critical acclaim— it won a People’s Choice Award, as well as being nominated for a Golden Globe Award and multiple Emmys— a drop in viewership during its second season led to its cancellation. According to Nielsen Media ratings, approximately 10 million views during the show’s first season quickly dropped to 8 in the second. Fan campaigns were created in an attempt to get CBS to reinstate the program, but their efforts were in vain. 

The show centers around the Girardi family, particularly middle child Joan, played by Amber Tamblyn (The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Two and a Half Men). Joan is approached by God and given vague instructions for various tasks throughout the series, as Joan had promised to do whatever God wanted as long as her older brother Kevin, played by Jason Ritter (Frozen II, Raising Dion) was spared from a car accident that left him a paraplegic. Despite having a rather religious premise, the topics discussed tend to be more philosophical in nature and provide plenty of thought-provoking material to ponder over long after the credits have rolled. The show weaves plotlines together seamlessly, with neither Joan nor the viewers quite knowing what God has in store. Certain connections aren’t made until multiple episodes in, reflecting the idea that we may never know how we’ve impacted others’ lives. Every character is complex and the cast’s chemistry is palpable. An “Adversary” had been introduced into the second season, serving as a hybrid between the Antichrist and Satan. Unfortunately, the character never reached his full potential, with the show being canceled shortly after his introduction. It would’ve been interesting to see Joan attempt to distinguish between the two beings and investigate the darker side of the show’s premise, and it’s a shame that we will never get to see it.

1. Impulse (2018-2019)

A loose sequel to the 2008 film Jumper and an adaptation of the Steven Gould novel by the same name, Impulse got too ambitious for its own good during its second season. The show came out with a bang, scoring 100% on Rotten Tomatoes during its first season. But the show expanded too quickly, quickly discarding its small town setting and adding a staggering complexity to a show that had previously thrived on simplistic plotlines and strong characters. The second season seemed to be trying to incorporate too many elements that stifled the narrative and likely led to the show’s cancellation. It was a huge disappointment to me, as I loved the first half of the show’s run and couldn’t bring myself to even finish the back half. Additionally, many didn’t know the source material and there weren’t any big name actors in the cast, resulting in a lack of viewership.

The show centers around Henrietta “Henry” Coles, portrayed by Maddie Hasson, a teenage girl who discovers that she has the ability to teleport. The show deals with the gravity of sexual assault, as it’s during a rape attempt by star athlete Clay Boone that Henry discovers her abilities. The characters really drive the narrative, with Henry having to come to terms with her soon-to-be stepsister Jenna while relying on the help of autistic genius Townes. It’s a shame the second season went so off-kilter, choosing to focus more on the rising conflict and supernatural abilities rather than the characters themselves, losing the tonal appeal the first season had built up. Had we been given a third season, I would’ve liked to see a stabilization of the narrative, bringing back the character interactions from season one while maintaining the fast pace of season 2. Alas, we’ll never know for sure what the writers had in store and if the series could’ve gained its footing if given the chance.

1. Dead Like Me (2003-2004)

Dead Like Me had the ratings to go for at least 3 seasons, with 1.11 million views during the series premiere setting a Showtime record that wouldn’t be topped until Shameless debuted in 2011. No, the real issue lay within production. Creator and executive producer Bryan Fuller, as well as actress Rebecca Gayheart (Jawbreaker, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood) left after the series’ fifth episode, with the former citing creative differences with MGM Television. Unhappy with the studio’s attempt to “strong arm” him into changing major storylines, Fuller exited while citing his time on the project as “the worst experience of my life.” Showtime canceled the show, claiming a “loss of quality and a sense the problems would continue.” While a decent direct-to-DVD film titled Dead Like Me: Life After Death was released in 2009, it wasn’t enough to satiate fans’ cravings for another season.
Sharp, sly, and self-aware, Dead Like Me has a charm that supersedes its occasionally heavy-handed characters. I mean, when your main character’s death involves a falling toilet seat, you know the show’s going to be jam-packed with dripping sarcasm. The show stars Georgia “George Lass, played by Ellen Muth, an eighteen-year-old who must serve as a grim reaper before she can move on to the afterlife. Simultaneously irreverent yet heartfelt, the writers make sure to include the impact of George’s death on the rest of her family. Throw in 3-time Tony Award-winning actor Mandy Patinkin’s performance as Rube John Sofer, George’s boss and father figure, and you have a the perfect show to kick back and enjoy.

Sianna Swavely is a Cinema, Television, and Media Production major, with minors in Professional Writing and Communication Studies. In her free time, she can be found video editing, playing the piano, or watching Youtube videos while pretending to study.