The Taylor Swift Eras Tour: What Songs I Think May Be on the Eras Tour (Part 2)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Alyssa Alfinito

In the 229-song discography Taylor Swift has, it has become increasingly harder to try and determine the songs she may put on her Eras Tour. Even if Swiftie’s wished the concert could be hours and hours, it realistically can’t. Continuing from part 1 of last week, I bring to you, the next 3 eras of Swift’s address, and my predictions on what she may include in her setlist. 

Please note that these opinions are based on popular songs & some fan theories/favorites, not necessarily what I wish for her to perform. There are plenty I’d love to hear that she most likely wouldn’t perform. I am NOT an expert in picking set lists though; I am just a swiftie.

Red (Taylor’s Version) Era

Released in 2012, Swift brought the album Red, where she began experimenting with country songs fused into pop. As most songs on this album addressed heartbreak and fading romance, fans flocked to instantly making this album their favorite. In 2021, Swift released Red (Taylor’s Version) including 20 re-recorded songs and multiple vault songs, including the 10-minute version of her original track number five, “All Too Well.”

“We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together (Taylor’s Version)”

The song with the extremely long title was the lead single for the album Red in 2012. The music video was complete with Taylor and her band dancing and singing in their pajamas happily about mending a broken heart and being better off without an ex-partner. Having an upbeat, pop sound, fans were surprised and unfamiliar. Though sometimes annoyingly repetitive, the single became Swift’s first Hot 100 number-one single. Since this was the new pop sounds lead single, I feel the concert wouldn’t be complete without an audience screaming “Weeeeee! Are never ever ever getting back together!” 

“I Knew You Were Trouble/Red (Taylor’s Version)”

Originally released as the second single for Red, “I Knew You Were Trouble” discusses self-blame and regret after being in what one could consider a toxic relationship. Released with more of a dubstep, pop production, some fans found themselves divided against her new sound. And, if anyone remembers, the screaming goat noise alongside the chorus that Taylor sings, this song really took off from going viral. The reason that “Red” is mixed within this song, is that I believe she will briefly start with the song “Red,” mixing into a medley of “I Knew You Were Trouble.” It wouldn’t be the Red era without the song “Red.” 

“All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version)”

Originally released in 2012 as the number 5 track at 5 minutes and 29 seconds, Swift announced that the re-record would include the 10-minute version that she had mentioned scrapping writing years back. Fans had always dreamed of hearing the longer version and that dream finally came true in 2021 during the re-records release. “All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version)” became the longest song to be put on Billboard’s Hot 100. Swift also released a short film to go alongside the song, starring Dylan O’Brien and Sadie Sink. Though never radio-friendly or radio popular, the song brought nostalgia, heartbreak, and closure back to many fans.  As this is one of my favorite Swift songs, and probably will stay a favorite forever, I imagine Swift singing this on stage (possibly as an encore) as tears stream down many faces, including my own.

Honorable Mentions

“I Bet You Think About Me” and “22”

I figured I might as well mention some others I think Taylor COULD play but I’m just not sure if time would permit. Personally, I hope she plays “I Bet You Think About Me” and “22!” Though she had a music video for both, I think it just depends on time and what other songs she does play.

1989

As the fifth studio album for Swift, 1989 was released in 2014 as Taylor’s first full pop album. This signified a rebirth in her career as she experimented with brand-new sounds and songs. Including seven singles, 1989 has become very different to limit to the setlist for The Eras Tour, as I feel like so many of the singles were extremely successful. As Taylor has only released Taylor’s Version of two songs, “Wildest Dreams” and “This Love,” the Swifties anxiously await the re-record of 1989.

“Blank Space”

As one of the singles from the 1989 era, this song was a perfect parody of the woman so many critics thought Swift was. The crazy ex and the flirty woman who couldn’t keep a man. Swift took the critiques and turned it into one of the best-selling singles of 2015, as well as a 3-time Grammy-nominated single. Who knew the sound of a pen clicking within a song could be so catchy? This song is sure to be on the setlist. If not, I would be very surprised.

“Style”

Being released as the third single from 1989, many fans loved the pop sound as Swift sang about a semi-unhealthy relationship, though the partner’s style and swagger just keeps bringing her back. Primarily an upbeat, pop-synth song, this single joined many Top 100 charts around the world, showing that Swift was a force to be reckoned with in the pop world.

“Out of the Woods”

One of my favorites from the 1989 album, “Out of the Woods” narrates the anxieties that Swift had during a relationship. Inspired by 1980s pop-synth sounds, this song was the promotional single for the album’s release. Completed with a music video, “Out of the Woods” quickly became a fan favorite.

“Shake It Off”

This song was the lead single of the 1989 era, which discussed Swift’s ‘I don’t care’ attitude toward her critics. This single was supported by a music video where Swift continues making fun of herself and dancing with no cares in the world. Receiving three Grammy nominations in 2015 alongside reaching the top of multiple world charts, “Shake It Off” is a carefree, upbeat song that she will most likely include within this era.

“Wildest Dreams (Taylor’s Version)”

Though I feel like this song may not be played, another part of me believes it will be. Released yet another single during the 1989 era, “Wildest Dreams” reached number 37 on the Billboard Hot 100. Swift also released a music video alongside the song. Though a Taylor’s Version has not been released, “Wildest Dreams (Taylor’s Version)” came out in 2021 surprisingly for the soundtrack of a new movie. With an angelic and mesmerizing melody, this song could be a nice pause to the more upbeat songs from 1989.

Honorable Mentions

“Clean” and “This Love (Taylor’s Version)”

My Swifitie heart is hoping Taylor plays “Clean”, but I almost wonder if it will only be on select dates. Alongside this, I almost wonder if she will play “This Love” considering she put out Taylor’s version for Amazon Prime’s The Summer I Turned Pretty series.

Reputation

One of my favorite albums that I slowly grew to love more and more, Reputation, was released in the year of 2017. Though the whole #TaylorSwiftisoverparty could be further explained, all explanation that is needed is:

“There will be no explanation, there will just be reputation.” -Taylor Swift

This album came out after Swift completely left social media and the public eye since the release of 1989. Though on the surface, Reputation clearly discusses her reputation in the public eye, Swift also sings about falling in love, finding herself, and coming to peace with her past demons. Though I wish she could play pretty much the whole album, it’s just not plausible when she has so many eras.

“I Did Something Bad”

Though not a single for the album, this song is what I call an anthem. Including lyrics that have the ‘I don’t care’ attitude, Swift takes the parody attitude she once had in 1989 and moved it to a more dramatic, loud, and almost haunting melody to parody herself. If I don’t get to hear “If a man talks sh*t, then I owe him nothing” screamed by an audience, I will riot.

“Delicate”

Going towards the more romantic and vulnerable feelings that many may Reputation, the song “Delicate” is most likely going to be performed. Swift recently commented on a TikTok requesting that it be sung, and she replied with a ‘done.’ “Delicate” also received a music video where Swift dances and imagines a world where she can dance and be happy with her lover, without being in the public eye.

“Ready For It…? /Look What You Made Me Do”

I think these two songs will have a medley. As a track 1, “Ready for It…?” will most likely make an appearance, but I’m not sure how long it will last. I think she will do the beginning and go into the infamous “Look What You Made Me Do” which was the lead single for the album era. Taylor dropped a surprise music video on YouTube during the lead singles release, and it broke the record for most views in the first 24 hours at the time. As this was the lead single, and a cultural reset in Swift’s history, I would be surprised if she didn’t perform it.

Honorable Mentions

“Gorgeous” & “Getaway Car”

I really struggle with these two, as I feel like they are top contenders. “Gorgeous” became a promotional single for the album a month after its release. This was yet another song on the album that talked about her love for her partner and consisted of a tongue-in-cheek vibe throughout the funny and upbeat lyrics. While I really love this song and performing it in my car, I struggle to know if she will perform it. Along with “Gorgeous,” I feel “Getaway Car” is another maybe song to include in the setlist. While most Swifties love this song, and even to this day, hope for a music video that was never given, the song was only a single in Australia and New Zealand. Though performed during the Reputation tour, it is yet another song I question if she can fit within a setlist. Maybe she will make us choose.

Overall, it has gotten increasingly harder to pick what songs I think Taylor will perform. Stay tuned for my third and final article where I try to predict from the Eras of Lover, Folklore, Evermore, and the newest one, Midnights.

Alyssa Alfinito

Kutztown '23

graduate studies in student affairs higher ed undergraduate degree in psychology graduate intern at lehigh pride center graduate assistant manager at KU writing center photographer, writer, traveler, book lover