Riley Keough and Sam Claflin in Daisy Jones and the Six
Lacey Terrell / Prime Video

The album from “Daisy Jones and the Six” might be one of the best TV show soundtracks ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

For the last few weeks, I have been obsessing over Amazon Prime’s newest limited series, Daisy Jones and the Six. Based on the book of the same name by Taylor Jenkins Reid, the show follows the rise and fall of a fictional band from the 1970s. Viewers follow along as the band writes and tours their album, Aurora, featuring many songs born from the drama occurring between lead singers Daisy Jones (Riley Keough) and Billy Dunne (Sam Claflin).

In addition to releasing the show, the music created for it has also been recorded and put out on streaming service and vinyls.

Fans of 1970s music may find this album familiar sounding, as both the story and the music from the show are heavily influenced by Fleetwood Mac. I was not expecting much from the soundtrack, given that the actors and actresses did not have much musical experience prior and it seemed like it could be tricky to write an album for a show that does not too closely copy Fleetwood Mac. However, it totally blew my expectations out of the water.

I find myself constantly choosing to listen to Aurora when I am deciding what music to put on. It has two stellar lead singles called “Look At Us Now (Honeycomb)” and “Regret Me” with great songwriting and phenomenal instrumentals. The actors all learned how to play their respective instruments, so both the singing and music are 100% authentic.

My favorite song off the album is currently “You Were Gone,” a duet between Billy and Daisy. This song is softer than some of the other songs with more of an acoustic feel. While most of the other songs deal with themes of love, tension, and bitterness, this song focuses more on accepting that someone is gone from your life. It is not angry, but rather a sad acknowledgment of the end of a relationship, which is a great contrast to the rest of the album and show.

I think the drawing point of this particular soundtrack for me is that it sounds like regular music. It is not like the music from a musical or animated film, where you have to watch the movie to fully understand the songs. The album completely stands on its own and can be enjoyed by anyone, whether they have seen the show or now. It is definitely further enhanced by the story, as the viewer comes to understand why each of the songs were written, but as a whole is successful as a standalone.

If you have not given the soundtrack a listen yet, I highly recommend it in addition to checking out the show. I know what I will have blasting from the speakers of my car this summer.

Lauryn is a student at Kutztown University studying English and minoring in Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. In her free time, she enjoys listening to music, reading, and baking.