Anna Schultz-Friends Putting Make Up In Front Of Mirror
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

I have never been one to look into myself and explore my strengths, weaknesses, and passions. I usually just continue on with life, making day-to-day decisions and never looking any deeper. But, I have recently come to realize the benefits of reviewing yourself, just like you are a new movie or Ariana Grande’s new album. 

This all began with a homework assignment. At the beginning of the semester, my professor wanted us to talk about our favorite books, movies, and music and why they are our favorite. Then, she wanted us to reflect on how they connect to our writing. Next, she wanted us to look towards the future and see how our actions now will help us achieve our dream jobs. The course is an intro-level course to the major, and all these assignments are just an easy way to get us to write. But, each assignment has touched and inspired me to review myself on a daily basis. 

Knowing what I truly enjoy will only bring more happiness in my life. Instead of pretending to enjoy a television show because everyone else does, I will watch what I love, even if I have seen it one hundred times before. It seems so simple to know what your passions are, but sometimes you may only be doing something to pass the time. Looking into yourself and picking out the things that bring you true joy will allow you to focus on them and find meaningful happiness. 

The future is scary, and it is simply easier to ignore it and pretend you have plenty of time to figure it out. But, college will go by fast, and the real world will begin. You have to be prepared, and knowing what you truly want will make things much easier. Having a goal, or a dream, in mind will provide a road map. It will give you something to look forward to. It will also make moving forward easier because it takes the fear and uncertainty out of it. If you know where you want to go, all you have to worry about is getting there. 

Knowing yourself in all your parts and facets will make your life full and put your mind at ease. Trust yourself and get to know yourself a little better, each and every day. 

Courtney Morstatt is a Professional Writing student at Kutztown University.