Resolutions for the New Year and New Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Happy New Year and start to the spring semester everyone! Today, I’m going to be sharing some of my resolutions for the new year and new semester. 

1. Play more tennis

I played varsity tennis when I was in high school, but since I started college I’ve barely stepped foot on the court. I am hoping this spring and summer I can make the time to play more tennis. 

1. Read 30 books 

I read 32 books last year and am looking to repeat or surpass this number. Ideally, I’d like to read more, but I always have a hard time getting started with something if the goal is too lofty. Attainable goals are less intimidating!

1. Say “yes” more

I am a planner by nature and have a hard time saying yes to last-minute plans. I’ve been trying to embrace more spontaneous opportunities lately. 

1. Spend less time on social media

It is so easy to scroll away on social media after a long school day. That “five minute break” on Instagram snowballs into ten minutes, then twenty, and even half an hour. This year, I’m trying to be more mindful of how I spend my time. 

1. Use a planner for the whole semester

I always start off the semester with a planner. I’m diligent about using it for about the first half of the semester. After the midway point, I tend to get into the habit of ditching my planner and relying on memory. Not great for time management! 

1. Start planning my honors capstone project 

Next year is my senior year, and I’m in the honors program, which means I need to start making a plan for my senior capstone and find an advisor. I am hoping to do something with writing, like a novel excerpt or a picture book. 

1. Secure a summer internship 

Internships are required for professional writing majors to graduate. I’m hoping to find something local or remote over the summer with, obviously, a focus on writing.  

It’s crazy to believe that the first month of the year is almost over! Good luck to everyone on their 2024 resolutions!

Kara Armstrong

Kutztown '25

Kara is a student at Kutztown University majoring in Professional Writing and minoring in Spanish. She likes thrifting, pickles, and the color yellow.