This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

It has been over a year since COVID-19 shut down most of our college campuses and forced us to continue our education via Zoom. As I enter my third and (hopefully) final exam week in this hybrid/online format, I wanted to piece together some of my unique experiences and thoughts about this year.

At the beginning, I saw the pandemic as an interesting opportunity for self-care, alone time, and the chance to focus on the things I enjoy. It gradually became more difficult to find the motivation I used to have for my academics and everyday tasks, so it turned out to be one of the most mentally/emotionally draining times of my life. Despite the loneliness I felt and the troubles I endured, I still managed to persevere. I completed a remote internship, upheld my campus leadership positions, joined new activities, and accomplished things I never thought were possible pre-coronavirus.

These trying times have taught me valuable lessons about life. No matter how much I felt like I was struggling, I ended up gaining more strength and self-confidence in the end. Change is never easy, but COVID-19 has allowed me to embrace new situations head-on.

I can only hope that others who have suffered more than I will finally have a transition back to a somewhat “normal” life very soon. I do believe we will all need to support one another as we attempt to resume in-person happenings; we can only handle so much alone. Here’s to one wild ride of a year and to hoping for a better future!

Kayla is a sophomore Social Media Theory and Strategy student at Kutztown University. Her interests range from youth activism to the latest beauty trends, so she is always glad to see these topics brought into the online networking world.
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur